How to find a Summer Research Experience. Dr. Valone Department of Biology Saint Louis University. Summer Research Opportunities. National Science Foundation Program R esearch E xperiences for U ndergraduates Summer REU Programs http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Department of Biology
Saint Louis University
National Science Foundation Program
Research Experiences for Undergraduates
Summer REU Programs
All fields of Biology (Molecular Biosciences, Biochemistry, Ecology, Evolution, Microbiology, etc.)
Universities (& Medical Schools) in the U.S. but some are located in foreign countries. 146 REU opportunities are currently listed on the NSF site
Involves student research guided by a mentor:
- 10 week program
- May go to a scientific conference
- Often present your results at a research day
How do I apply?
1. Find a program (NSF web site)
2. Apply on-line
- Applications are typically due in the spring (February - April)
How do I get in?
1. Find a program whose research area matches your interests.
2. Contact the listed primary or secondary contact person on the website.
- Are they taking students this summer?
- What are they looking for in potential students?
- Find faculty who can write strong letters of recommendation
- Work on your statement of research experience and academic, career, and research goals. How will the REU help you achieve your goals?
12 Week programs (mid-May – Mid-August)
Paid positions: 40 hours per week
20 hours per week
6 weeks minimum
No stipend, credit possible
Research on Behavior, Endocrinology, Reproduction, Nutrition, Conservation
11 week summer program
* Completion of at least one year of college education before beginning internship
* Excellent academic record
* Demonstrated core competencies, communication, and leadership skills
Areas: Enzyme Analysis, Chromatography, Molecular Biology, Wet Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Cell Biology.