Download
genetic and environmental factors affecting brain development n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Genetic and Environmental factors affecting brain development PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Genetic and Environmental factors affecting brain development

Genetic and Environmental factors affecting brain development

990 Views Download Presentation
Download Presentation

Genetic and Environmental factors affecting brain development

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Genetic and Environmental factors affecting brain development

  2. Environmental Factors

  3. What are some environmental influences that impact brain development? • Drugs (tobacco, alcohol, prescription or illegal drugs) • Mother’s age • Radiation, toxic wastes and pollutants • Parasite (toxoplasmosis) • Stress

  4. Drugs • Mothers who take large amounts of barbiturates may have babies who are addicted or may exhibit tremors, restlessness and irritability. • Alcohol (Heavy drinking) – Fetal alcohol syndrome is a cluster of abnormalities that appear in the offspring of mothers who drink alcohol heavily during pregnancy

  5. Mother’sage • Down Syndrome, a form of mental retardation, is related to the mother's age • By age 40, the probability is slightly over 1 in 100. By age 50, it is almost 1 in 10. The risk is also higher before age 18.

  6. Down syndrome • In most cases, Down syndrome occurs when there is an extra copy of chromosome 21. • The extra chromosome causes problems with the way the body and brain develop. • Down syndrome is the most common single cause of human birth defects • Symptoms include: • Impulsive behaviour • Poor judgment • Short attention span • Slow learning • Intellectual disability • Aggression

  7. Radiation, toxic wastes and pollutants • Among the dangerous pollutants and wastes are carbon monoxide, mercury and lead. • Chromosomal abnormalities are higher among the children whose mothers were exposed to high levels of radiation  • During the period of 25 weeks post conception, the central nervous system (CNS) is particularly sensitive to radiation. • The sensitivity is highest 8-15 weeks post conception • May result in a decrease of IQ or in a high probability of severe mental retardation.

  8. Toxoplasmosis • Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by the parasite Toxoplasmagondii. • You can get it by eating undercooked, infected meat, or handling soil or cat feces that contain the parasite. • Infants who become infected during pregnancy are said to have “congenital toxoplasmosis” infection • Infected babies have problems with: brain, eyes, heart, kidneys, blood, liver, or spleen. • Long term effects may include seizures, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, deafness, and blindness

  9. Are there times during pregnancy when the effect of environmental factors is especially important?

  10. Stress • Stress, neglect and ill-treatment in childhood could cause: • a serious and permanent deficit in language acquisition • Impaired personality development • Impaired intellectual and social skills

  11. Genetic factors

  12. What is a genetic disorder? • A genetic disorder is a disease caused by a different form of a gene, called a variation, or a change in a gene, called a mutation • Inherited disorders - a mutated gene or group of genes is passed down through a family • Many people with genetic brain disorders fail to produce enough of certain proteins that influence brain development and function. • These brain disorders can cause serious problems that affect the nervous system.

  13. How are genetic disorders inherited? • By obtaining genes from parents • There are three common types or modes of inheritance: dominant, recessive and X-linked (or sex-linked) • Dominant inheritance occurs when one parent has a dominant, disease-causing gene which causes abnormalities even if coupled with a healthy gene from the other parent (each child has a 50% chance of inheriting the disease-causing gene). • Recessive inheritance occurs when both parents carry a disease-causing gene but outwardly show no signs of disease

  14. Each child has a 25% chance of inheriting both disease genes and being affected; 25% chance of inheriting two healthy genes and not being affected, and a 50% chance of being a carrier of the disorder • X-linked or sex-linked inheritance affects genes located on the X chromosome • If a mother has a female child, the child has a 50% chance to inherit the disease gene and be a carrier and pass the disease gene on to her children.

  15. Diseases

  16. Tuberoussclerosis •  Rare genetic disease that causes noncancerous tumours to grow in the brain and other organs. • Other Symptoms: • Developmental delays • Mental retardation • Seizures • Social-communicational problems (poor eye-contact, repetitive and ritualistic behaviours and speech and language delay) • Disruptive behaviours (over activity, restlessness, impulsivity, aggressive outbursts, temper tantrums, and self-injurious behaviours) • Mood-related difficulties (depressed mood, anxiety, extreme shyness) • Sleep problems

  17. Phenylketonuria • A condition in which a baby is born without the ability to properly break down an amino acid called phenylalanine (Phe) • Children with untreated PKU may appear normal at birth. • By age three to six months, they begin to lose interest in their surroundings.  • By age one they are developmentally delayed and their skin has less pigmentation than someone without the condition.  • If Phe is not restricted in the diet, those with PKU develop: • Seizures • Severe developmental delay • Autism

  18. Galactosemia • Galactosemia is a disorder that affects how the body processes a simple sugar called galactose • The signs and symptoms of galactosemia result from an inability to use galactose to produce energy. • Symptoms: • Convulsions • Irritability • Lethargy • Delayed development • Speech difficulties • Intellectual disability

  19. Wilson’s disease • Caused by a build-up of copper in the body • It first attacks the liver, the central nervous system, or both •  Build-up of copper in the central nervous system may result in neurologic symptoms: • Problems with speech • Physical coordination • Tremors or uncontrolled movements • Muscle stiffness • Behavioural changes

  20. What is a genetic testing? • Genetic testing involves examining your DNA - the chemical database that carries instructions for your body's functions. • Genetic testing can reveal changes or alterations in your genes that may cause illness or disease. • Although genetic testing can provide important information for diagnosing, treating and preventing illness, there are limitations. • For example, if you're a healthy person, a positive result from genetic testing doesn't always mean you will develop a disease. • In some situations, a negative result doesn't guarantee that you won't have a certain disorder.

  21. Questions: • What is the difference between environmental and genetic influences on brain development? • Is it possible to prevent some of the brain diseases? • Is it possible to diagnose a brain disorder by just observing a child? Why? • What is the best way to diagnose a genetic disorder?