Marching On in Hope Home of Christians 2013.12.29
Marching On in Hope • Hymn # 474: “Guide Me, Oh Thou Jehovah.” • Rom.15:13; Deut. 1:2-3, 6; 2:1-3; 5:2-3; 8:2-10; 32:9-12; 1Pet. 4:7-10; Phil. 3:12-16 • Outline: • 1. Time for Retrospection and Renewed Perspectives • 2. God’s Reminder and Promise to His People • 3. God’s Chastening, Love and Guidance • 4. Renewing Our Pledge and Marching On
1. Retrospection and Renewed Perspectives A. Present-day stumbling blocks- outward and inward • Frustration, confusion, weariness, stagnation B. Renewed perspectives – God of Hope • Joy, peace, hope through faith • Rom. 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. C. Deuteronomy– encouragement to action • God’s call to retrospection, thanksgiving, turning back, moving on
Deut. 1:1These are the words Moses spoke to all Israel in the wilderness east of the Jordan— • 1:3In the fortieth year, on the first day of the eleventh month, Moses proclaimed to the Israelites all that the LORD had commanded him concerning them. • 1:6The LORD our God said to us at Horeb, “You have stayed long enough at this mountain. • 1:2(It takes eleven days to go from Horeb to Kadesh Barnea by the Mount Seir road.) • Deut. 2:1Then we turned back and set out toward the wilderness along the route to the Red Sea, as the LORD had directed me. For a long time we made our way around the hill country of Seir. 2:2 Then the LORD said to me, • 2:3 “You have made your way around this hill country long enough; now turn north.
Deut 8: 2 Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. • 8:5Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you. • 8:6 Observe the commands of the LORD your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him. 7 For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land • Deut. 5:2 The LORD our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. • 5:3 It was not with our ancestors that the LORD made this covenant, but with us, with all of us who are alive here today.
2. God’s Reminder and Promise to His People A. Deliverance - out of Egypt, into Canaan Redemption, justification, new creation in Christ B. Service - to God as chosen race, commandments Saint – noble standing, privileged to serve God Leading a life pleasing to God - sanctification C. Blessing – good land with abundance Rewarded with the promised blessing – hope of glory
Deut. 32:9 For the LORD’s portion is his people, Jacob his allotted inheritance. • 32:10 In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye,32:11like an eagle that stirs up its nest and hovers over its young, that spreads its wings to catch them and carries them aloft.32:12 The LORD alone led him; no foreign god was with him.
3. God’s Chastening, Love and Guidance A. Deprivation and judgment in the wildness B. Forgiveness and reconciliation C. Spreading wings and guiding hands
4. Renewing Our Pledge and Marching On A. Growth of Christ in us and among us (1Pet. 4:7-10) • 1 Pet. 4:7 The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment (alert, self-controlled) and sober-minded for the purpose of prayer. • 4:8Above all, keep loving one another fervently, because love covers a multitude of sins. • 4:9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 4:10 As each one has received a special gift, use it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.(ESV + NASV)
4. Renewing Our Pledge and Marching On B.Pressing on toward the goal – upward call of God • Phil. 3:13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have obtained it. But this one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining (reaching forth ) toward what is ahead, • 3:14I press on toward the mark for the prize of the (heavenward) high calling of God in Christ Jesus. • 3:15 All of us, then, who are mature should be thus minded.… • 3:16Nevertheless, however much we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule (Darby: walk in the same steps) , let us mind the same thing.(21 KJV)
5. Mutual Encouragement • May we answer God’s call to stop circling around and move forward in the journey to His promised goal. • Help us forget what’s behind and reach forward what’s ahead. • Immerse us in God’s love so we can uplift one another in our pursuit of a body life together. • Uphold us to run courageously and walk steadfastly toward the mark in the same steps. • Phil. 2:1-2 So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort of love, any fellowship of the Spirit, any affection and mercy, … by having the same love, being of one accord and of one mind.
5. Mutual Encouragement • May the Lord revive us and give us renewed strength for the New Year. • Re-gain fresh faith in God’s purpose on us and His church, against our doubts, weaknesses and outward uncertainties. • Grant us patience so we can persevere amid trials and difficulties. • Supply us with the prudence and courage to take on His good work. • Faith has aims; patience roots in hope; boldness comes from God’s strengthening. • Phil. 4:13 I can do all things in Him who strengthens me!