Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Building Systems of Assessments that Support Deeper Learning. Virginia Standards of Learning Innovation Committee, July 15, 2014. The Changing Demand for Job Skills (United States).
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Virginia Standards of Learning Innovation Committee, July 15, 2014
Source: Autor, David H. and Brendan M. Price. 2013. "The Changing Task Composition of the US Labor Market: An Update of Autor, Levy, and Murnane (2003)." MIT Mimeograph, June.
Singapore Japan Korea Finland Canada Ireland Poland Estonia Lichtenstein Australia
US is #21
Mathematics Singapore Korea Japan Lichtenstein Switzerland Netherlands Estonia Finland Canada Poland
US is # 32
Singapore Japan Finland Estonia
Poland Canada Lichtenstein Germany
US is #23
High Achievers Use:
-- Open-ended essays and problems to be solved and explained
-- Performance tasks that require students to design and conduct investigations, collect data, analyze and present findings in writing, orally, and with technology
To Assess Experimental Skills and Investigations, Students…
SINGAPORE EXAMINATIONS AND ASSESSMENT BOARD
Litchfield Promotions promotes bands and puts on performances in England. They need to be sure that each performance will make enough money to cover all the costs and make a profit. Many people need to be paid: the bands; sound engineers; and, lighting technicians. There is also the cost of hiring the venue.
Litchfield Promotions needs to create an ICT solution to ensure that they have all necessary information and that it is kept up to date. Their solution will show income, outgoings and profit.
Candidates need to:
1) Work with others to plan and carry out research to investigate how similar companies have produced a solution.
2) Clearly record and display your findings.
3) Recommend and evaluate a solution addressing the task requirements.
4) Produce a design brief explaining & critiquing your solution.
It is managed as part of an integrated system of curriculum, assessment, instruction, and teacher development.
2. Teachers are integrally involved in the development of curriculum at the school level and the development and scoring of moderated assessments.
3. Open-ended assessments include evidence of actual student performance on challenging tasks that evaluate applications of knowledge and skills.
Extended Experimental Investigation at the Senior Level (Grade 11-12)
Over four or more weeks, students must develop and conduct an extended experimental investigation to investigate a hypothesis or to answer a practical research question. Experiments may be laboratory or field based The outcome of the investigation is a written scientific report of 1500 to 2000 words.
The student must:
• develop a planned course of action
• clearly articulate the research question and provide a statement of purpose for the investigation
• provide descriptions of the experiment
• show evidence of student design
• provide evidence of primary and secondary data collection and selection
• execute the experiment(s)
• analyze data
• discuss the outcomes of the experiment
• evaluate and justify conclusion(s)
(Envision, NY Performance StandardsConsortium, Singapore, IB)
CCSS Assessments(SBAC &
Common Performance Tasks
Narrow Assessment Assessments of Deeper Learning
Standardized performance tasks
that include structured inquiry and demand more integrated skills, including collaboration
Performance tasks that require students to formulate and carry out their own inquiries, analyze & present findings, and (sometimes) revise in response to feedback
Longer, deeper investigations,(2-3 months) & exhibitions, including graduation portfolios, requiring students to initiate, design, conduct, analyze, revise, and present their work in multiple modalities
Standardized tests with m-c & open-ended items + short (1-2 day) performance tasks of some applied skills
Standardized, multiple-choice tests of routine skills
Performance-Based Assessments / Portfolios
Used to validate local assessment results
Used to enrich test results and inform teaching
Interactive Elements of an Assessment System
-- Policymakers (state / local)
-- Students and parents
-- Higher education and employers