Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Module 5 British and American English Introduction Reading and Speaking 刘俊. 课时分配. Introduction- 1. Reading (3m) Read the quotations and tell whether you agree or disagree. A We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except of course, language.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
British and American English
Reading and Speaking
A We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except of course, language.
---Oscar Wilde, 19th century writer
B With a century British and American English speakers will not be able to understand each other.
---Henry Sweet, 19th century linguist
--George Bernard Shaw, 20th century writer
D It doesn’t make much of a difference whether a teacher speaks British or American English.
--Dave Sperling, founder of Dave’s ESL Cafe
1. What is the topic of the quotations?
2. Which is the most optimistic?
3. Which is the most pessimistic?
4. Which (if any) do you think are funny?
5 Which is good news for students of English?
6. Can you guess which quotations are from British people?
Which is American and which is British?
(point out the reason)
some of the reasons we know are:
Discuss and the answers are open.
Do you have…?
My friend has just arrived
on the team/ weekend
Write to me soon!
A. no B. a few C. lots of
A. Sometimes B. usually C. never
A. no B. many C. not many
4. American spelling is _______ British spelling.
A. the same as B. simpler than C. harder than
A. a Chinese accent B. some British accents
C. a CNN newsreader
A. harder B. easier C. impossible
It is proved in the following ways: politics, economy and culture.
2. Americans drives automobile down freeways and fill up with gas. 美国人开车沿高速公路行驶并加满汽油。
fill up 装满;填满
He filled up the bucket with water. 他把水桶装满水
3. Americans use a flashlight, while for the British it’s a torch. 美国人用的是flashlight(手电筒)而英国人则用torch(手电筒)。
He likes playing basketball, while I likes listen to music. 他喜欢打篮球,而我喜欢听音乐。
4. Prepositions, too, can be different: compare on the end, on the weekend (American) with in the team, at the weekend (British).
介词也不同:把美国的 on the team, on the weekend 与英国的in the team, at the weekend比较一下。
Shakespearecompares the world to status. 莎士比亚把世界比作舞台。
3) compared with/to 与……相比(在句中常作状语)
Compared with/to many women, she was indeed very famous.
5. The accent, which is most similar to British English, can be heard on the East Coast of the US.
is similar to 类似于,与 ……相似
My new dress is similar to the one you have. 我的新衣服和你的那件相似。
6. After all, there is probably as much variation of pronunciation within the two countries as between them.毕竟, 两个国家境内的发音的差别可能跟两国之间的发音差别一样多。
2) as much as意思是“多达……, ……之多”, as … as 中间常接形容词或副词原形, 即 as +adj./adv. +as。
The cost of the trip is as much as 50,000 yuan. 这次旅行的费用高达50,000人民币。
Mike is not so clever as his sister.
7. A Londoner has more difficulty understanding a Scotsman from Glasgow than understanding a New Yorker. 伦敦的居民听懂来自格拉斯哥的苏格兰人 的话要比听懂一个纽约人的话难得多。
Do you have any difficulty with English? 你英语上有困难吗？
The government had great difficulty in persuading people to leave their villages. 政府很难说服人们离开他们的村庄。
第一个为:American English 美语第二个为:British English 英语公寓apartment flat 洗手间bathroom / restroom toilet 罐头can tin 糖果candy sweets 洋芋片chips crisps 饼干cookie biscuit 玉米corn maize 婴儿床crib cot 尿布diaper nappy 电梯elevator lift
橡皮擦eraser rubber 一楼first floor ground floor 手电筒flashlight torch 薯条French fries chips 垃圾桶garbage can dustbin 汽油gas, gasoline petrol 果酱jelly jam 生气mad angry 数学math maths 餐巾、擦嘴巾napkin serviette 薯片potato chips crisp 手提包purse / pocketbook handbag 足球soccer football 来回票roundtrip return 人行道sidewalk pavement 炉子stove cooker
第一个为:American English 美语第二个为:British English 英语目录catalog catalogue 文明civilization civilisation 颜色color colour 抵抗defense defence 草稿draft draught 最爱favorite favourite