Using this presentation. This presentation is designed to be a useful tool for promoting Best Workplaces for Commuters SM . With that in mind: There is no need to use all the slides. Use only those that support your message and apply to your audience.
This presentation is designed to be a useful tool for promoting Best Workplaces for CommutersSM. With that in mind:
Thanks for your enthusiasm and interest in Best Workplaces for CommutersSM. Good luck.
commuting trips are “drive-alone”
These facts indicate --- YES!
(National Commuter Survey, Sept/Oct. 2005)
were offered by their employers.
3 times per week.
(2001 Career Builder Survey, HR Magazine, Oct. 2001)
commute as unsatisfying or stressful.
pay cut for a shorter commute.
4 times more likely to use transit than those who don’t have them. (2001 Xylo Survey)
(KPMG Peat Marwick study)
promote Best Workplaces for
(only 1 if < 20 employees)
Choose 3 (only 1 if < 20 employees):
visit the BWC Web site
Distinguishes them from the competition:
& retaining the best employees
- In Houston, Best Workplaces for Commuters is part of the metro-regional strategy to meet air quality standards and part of the Houston State Implementation Plan
- 245,192 employees covered in 2005 (100% increase over 2004)
- Environmental and Energy Impacts (2005):
Vehicle miles reduced - 266 million miles per year
Gasoline saved - 12+ million gallons
CO2 emissions avoided - 122,000 metric tons
NOx emissions avoided- 300 tons per year
- In Atlanta, Cumberland Galleria Business District contributes to local economy
- 60,000 employees covered
- Developers finance commuter benefits to attract and retain tenants
- 1500 employers
- 20 BWC Districts
- 3 million employees covered in 32 states
- 178 million gallons of gas
- $429 million (average 2006 price of $2.42/gal.)
- 1.56 million metric tons CO2
- 4200 tons NOx
- 2300 tons VOCs
Employer Cost Comparison
FICA Cost (7.65%)
Parking Space Operational Costs
Corporate Inc. Tax Savings (40%)
Net Employer Cost/ Month
Employee Benefit Comparison
FICA Cost (7.65%)
Federal Income Tax (28%)
State Income Tax(6%)
Net Employee Benefit/ Month
Business Case: Tax and Cost Savings
* Parking Cost data from International Parking Institute 2004
largest U.S. Companies
Ranking based on percentage of each company’s U. S. workforce at facilities that qualify as BWC
Employers with 10% or more
of employees covered
WellChoice (Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield)
New York Life Insurance
*in alphabetical order
[INSERT LOCAL NEWS COVERAGE HERE]
“ Getting and retaining the best employees is critical to success in today’s business world. Being recognized as a Best Workplaces for CommutersSM is a win-win way to benefit your company, your employees, and your community.”
- Hewlett-Packard Company (San Francisco Bay Area, CA)
“We became a Best Workplaces for CommutersSM to support our ‘triple bottom line’ (people, planet, profits). This program contributes to our social bottom line providing a fulfilling work experience; helps us care for the environment; and allows us to be more competitive by attracting the best employees to our company. This, of course, contributes to our economic bottom line.”
- Idyll, Ltd. (Philadelphia, PA)
"Best Workplaces for CommutersSMcomplements our business programs by recognizing employers who offer transit benefits to their employees. Every time an employer subsidizes transit through an RTD program, they're helping reduce the number of cars on the road, which alleviates traffic problems for all of us."
- Regional Transportation District (Denver, CO)
To learn more about becoming one of the Best Workplaces for CommutersSM or supporting a metro area campaign: