Waste Water Monitoring Green C hemistry Principle 11. By Jeremy Johnson. Part 1. What is Green Chemistry?. Green Chemistry is a new type of Chemistry used to try and find new ways of industrial procedures that are less dangerous towards the environment and help prevent pollution.
1. Prevent waste: Prevent waste products
2. Design safer chemicals: Make safer products with safe chemicals in them.
3. Find safer ways to make synthetic products: Developing safer processes when making synthetic products.
4. Maximise atom economy: convert the maximum quantity of reactants to products, with few side-products.
5. Use safer solvents: using non hazardous liquids and etc.
6. Use renewable reactants: Avoid use of reactants such as those derived from petroleum.
7. Maximise energy efficiency: Avoid wasting energy such as heat and electricity during the process.
8. Avoid chemical derivatives: Avoid unnecessary tinkering with molecules during synthesis.
9. Use catalysts whenever possible: by lowering or reducing temperature you can save energy and avoid side effects or reactions.
10. Design biodegradable products: Design products that can break down and are better for the environment.
11. Use real time analysis to prevent pollution: Do things in right time frame.
12. Minimise the potential for accidents.