MODAL AUXILIARIES Arranged by : Adestya Ayu Msi. Par. Function:. 'helping' words that give specific meaning to and indicate te tense of the verb. Formula. I can meet you tomorrow. He might think that you came yesterday. He should not speak about that problem in public. S+modals+V1.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
MODAL AUXILIARIES Arranged by : Adestya Ayu Msi. Par
Function: • 'helping' words that give specific meaning to and indicate te tense of the verb.
Formula • I can meet you tomorrow. • He might think that you came yesterday. • He should not speak about that problem in public. S+modals+V1
Strategies for modal auxiliary items • Is the main verb of the sentence in the present tense? • He is sure he could meet us there. (incorrect) • He is sure he can meet us there. (correct)
Is the main verb of the sentence in the past tense? • He thought he will retire soon. (incorrect) • He thought he would retire soon. (correct)
Has the action of the verb in the subordinate clause occured before the action of the main verb? • I think that I might make a mistake yesterday.(incorrect) • I think that I might have made a mistake yesterday.
Exercise 1 1. You seem to be having trouble there. _________ I help you? • Would • Will • Shall
2. I don't have enough money to buy lunch. __________ you lend me a couple of dollars? • May • Could • Shall
3. That ice is dangerously thin now. You ________ go ice-skating today. • mustn't • might not • would mind not to
4. It's way past my bedtime and I'm really tired. I ________ go to bed. • should • ought • could
5. He ______________ have committed this crime. He wasn't even in the city that night. • might • shouldn't • couldn't
6. John is over two hours late already, He ___________ missed the bus again. • should have • must have • will have
7. I'm really quite lost. _______________ showing me how to get out of here? • Would you mind • Would you be • Must you be
8. That bus is usually on time. It _________ to be here any time now. • might • has • ought
9. I read about your plane's near disaster. You ____________ terrified! • might have been • must have been • shall have been
10. It's the law. They ____________ have a blood test before they get married. • might • could • have to
11. Professor Villa, we've finished our work for today. _________ we leave now, please? • May • Can • Must
Exercise 2 • This car be expensive. It's five years old. (can) • You hurry. We have plenty of time. (must) • I am afraid I help you now. (can) • Well, I don't know. He like it. (may) • I play the piano. (can) • You wash up today. (must) • You must try hard. You give it up. (may) • She go out on Monday. (can)
Exercise 3. Book page 171 • Last week the consultant said that the company shall hire a public relation firm, which would help their image greatly considering recent profit losses. • The board of directors should be deciding now who will get promotions, who may be trained for managerial positions, and who would be fired.
Since she's been told that she would have seniority and can ask for a transfer, she should look for an opening in other departments and submit a request. • The committee agrees that a solution must be found right away, but the members cannot agree on what it should be or who might have been the best people to implement it.
The procedurs that we must follow when we will have problems using the new copier are posted. • I would do it if I could, but I can't so I wouldn't even try. • Her mother, who passed away last year, must be a remarkable woman if she could take care of a house, raise five children, and work at her family's store all at the same time.
When you realized you may have difficulty arranging last month's conference you should have told me so that I could have gotten some people to volunteer. • The new software training program that will be set upought to improve our employees' skills dramatically so that they could produce much more graphic material and increase their productivity.
You may think that this restaurant might not have great food because of its simple look, but you can believe me when I tell you that your taste buds will have been pleasantly surprised.