visiting working and studying in the u s n.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Visiting, Working, and Studying in the U.S. PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Visiting, Working, and Studying in the U.S.

Visiting, Working, and Studying in the U.S.

187 Views Download Presentation
Download Presentation

Visiting, Working, and Studying in the U.S.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Visiting, Working, and Studying in the U.S. Lauren Derebey Vice Consul U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver


  3. QUALIFYING FOR A TOURIST VISA • A residence abroad that you don’t intend to abandon • Intent for a temporary visit to the United States • Financial ability to pay for your trip APPLY ONLINE AND INTERVIEW AT CONSULATE

  4. Canadians and Visa Waiver Program participants • You don’t need a visa to visit the United States • You need a visa to work in the United States, but you can apply for the visa at the border.

  5. Obtaining an employment visa • Find a job and an employer in the U.S. • Have your U.S. employer petition for your employment through U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) • Once you obtain your approved petition, set an appointment for visa interview • Attend visa interview U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  6. H visas – Skilled workers • H-1B workers • Workers with specialized skills (engineers, computer professionals, and so on) • Must have Bachelor’s degree or higher • Total period of stay no more than six years

  7. L visa – Intracompany transfer • Petitioner is same company for whom you are employed abroad • You are a manager or executive, or have specialized knowledge, and are taking a managerial or executive position or a position requiring specialized knowledge • You must have one year prior continuous qualifying experience within the previous three years

  8. J-1 – Exchange visitor Accepted into designated exchange visitor program Financial ability to pay for expenses Adequate English language ability Intend to return to country of residence Qualified for program Two-year rule may apply U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  9. B-1 – Temporary visitor for business Engage in commercial transactions which do not involve employment in the U.S. Negotiate contracts Consult with business associates Litigate Participate in scientific, educational, professional or business conventions, conferences or seminars Undertake independent research U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  10. Qualifying for an employment visa • Are you qualified for the position? • Bring your degree, transcripts, etc to prove you do • Does the position you have been offered qualify as a specialty skill job? • Will you be likely to be paid as petitioned? • Bring your employer’s labor certification U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  11. Studying in the United States U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  12. What kind of study visa do I need? • F1 – for academic study • College, university, seminary, conservatory, or other academic institution or in a language training program • J1 – for exchange programs • Work/travel, au pair, company/medical internship, or academic research U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  13. Qualifying for an F1 / J1 visas • Students are required to demonstrate: • Intent to return to their country of residence upon completion of their studies • Financial ability to pay for schooling (tuition plus expenses) • Commitment to full-time course of study • English language ability • CONSULT WITH YOUR SCHOOL ADVISORS!!!! U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  14. Can I stay in the U.S. after I graduate? • You may apply for one year work permission (Optional Practical Training) for employment in your field after you graduate. Students in some fields may be able to apply for longer employment authorization. Discuss with your student advisor. • Beyond OPT, you must obtain an employment-based visa or immigrant visa. • The J visa may require that you return to your country of residence for a period of 2 years before you can apply for certain work-based or fiancee visas. U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  15. Can spouses or children also work or study in the U.S. ? • F1: • Dependents and spouses cannot work • Children of F1 applicants MAY study full-time • Spouses cannot study full-time unless they qualify for an F1 visa in their own right. • J1 dependents may work if authorized by DHS U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  16. Can I work while I’m a student? • On an F1 visa, you can: • work on-campus for up to 20 hours a week while school is in session • work off-campus for up to 20 hours a week in a position related to your field of study during subsequent years of study IF you have been authorized by the designated school official; full time employment may be authorized during academic breaks. Talk to your advisor! • However, on an F1 visa, you may NOT: • continue to work on-campus after you have completed your course of study

  17. Applying for a visa U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  18. How to apply for a visa • Make an appointment: • • 604-800-0917 (Vancouver) • 877-341-2441 (toll free) • Pay the MRV fee • Attend the interview • Please plan ahead; you may not get an appointment immediately U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  19. What to bring to the visa interview • DS-160 form • Proper form (I-797, DS-2019, I-20) • Passport and photo • Proof of legal status in Canada • For complete list: U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  20. What to expect at the Consulate • Be prepared to answer questions about your qualifications and abilities. Your documents alone are not enough. • BE HONEST! • Some applicants will require additional administrative processing which can take days to months to complete. U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  21. Visa approved! • Do not finalize your travel plans until your U.S. visa is in your hands! • Go to the U.S. with your visa and obtain the proper status. U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  22. Visa refused – Why? • Presumption of immigrant intent • Failure to meet the requirements of the visa for which you are applying • Each case is determined on its own merits U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver

  23. Questions on working in the U.S.? Temporary Workers in the United States Bureau of Consular Affairs U.S. Consulate General Vancouver

  24. Questions on studying in the U.S.? Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Study in the United States For international students The student visa

  25. THANK YOU! U.S. Consulate General - Vancouver