Fundamentals of Nanotechnology: From Synthesis to Self-Assembly. Nanotechnology in Cancer Treatment. Amila.A.Dissanayake Department of Chemistry Oklahoma State University CHEM 6420 Fall 2007. Background and Introduction. Cancer.
Development of abnormal cells that divide uncontrollably which have the ability to infiltrate and destroy normal body tissue 1
Use of anti-cancer (cytotoxic) drugs to destroy cancer cells.
Work by disrupting the growth of cancer cells 2
Nanoparticles such as
Emission wavelengths are size tunable (2 nm-7 nm) 4
High molar extinction coefficients
Conjugation with copolymer improves biocompatibility, selectivity and decrease cellular toxicity 5
size-tunable optical properties of ZnS-capped CdSe QDs
Oligonucleotide modified carbon nanotubes as the high-resolution atomic force microscopy tips to determine targeted DNA sequences
can detect change in single base mismatch in a kilobase size DNA strains 7
Metallic , semiconductor or polymer composite nanowires functionalized by ligands such as antibodies and oligonucleotides
capturing the targeted molecules the Nanowires changes the conductivity 8
Detect up to 10 X 10-15 concentrations
Conjugating the nanoparticle to the targeted organ, tumor or individual cells for preferential accumulation 9
dendrimers are synthetic, spherical, highly branched and monodispersed macromolecules
Biodegradable polyester dendrimers
Intracellular release of drug component
Tunable architectures and molecular weights to leads to optimize tumor accumulation and drug delivery.
Polyester dendrimer based on 2,2-bis(hydroxymethyl)propionic acid
1) Hahn, W. C.; Weinberg, R. A. Nat. Rev. Cancer,2002, 2, 331–341.
2) Liotta, L.; Petricoin, E. Nat. Rev Genet,2000, 1, 48–56.
3) Henglein, A.; Chem. Rev. 1989, 89, 1861–1873.
4) Alivisatos, P.; Nat. Biotechnol, 2004, 22, 47–52.
5) Alivisatos, A .P.; Gu, W. W.; Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 2005, 7, 55–76.
6) Golub, T .R.; Slonim, D. K.; Tamayo, P.; Huard, C.; Gaasenbeek, M.; Science, 1999, 286, 531–537.
7) Woolley, A. T.; Guillemette, C.; Cheung, C. L.; Housman, D. E.; Lieber, C. M.; Nat.Biotechnol, 2000, 18, 760–763.
8) Hahm, J.; Lieber, C. M.; Nano Lett, 2004, 4, 51–54.
9) Patri, A. K.; Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol, 2002, 6, 466-468.
10) Andresen, T. L.; Prog. Lipid Res, 2005, 44, 68-72.