by julio leon n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Welcome to Egypt PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Welcome to Egypt

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 10

Welcome to Egypt - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 91 Views
  • Uploaded on

By: Julio Leon. Welcome to Egypt. Facts about egypt.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Welcome to Egypt' - job


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
facts about egypt
Facts about egypt
  • Facts and StatisticsLocation: North East Africa bordering Palestine (Gaza Strip) 11 km, Israel 266 km, Libya 1,115 km, Sudan 1,273 km Capital: Cairo Climate: desert; hot, dry summers with moderate winters Population: 76,117,421 (July 2004 est.) Ethnic Make-up: Eastern Hamitic stock (Egyptians, Bedouins, and Berbers) 99%, Greek, Nubian, Armenian, other European (primarily Italian and French) 1% Religions: Muslim (mostly Sunni) 94%, Coptic Christian and other 6% Government: republic 
customs
Customs

Egypt is a made up of a mix of tribal customs, traditions dating way back to the pharaohs. Practices of the Egyptian religion were efforts to providing for the gods and gain their favor. The formal religious practice centered on the pharaoh, who was then the king of Egypt. When it comes to family culture honored men for their ability to work, provide food and shelter, and fight if necessary and women respectfully due to their childbearing ability and their contributions to family life through working in fields, weaving and housekeeping.

culture
Culture

The culture of Egypt has thousands of years of recorded history. Ancient Egypt was among the earliest civilizations. For millennia, Egypt maintained a strikingly complex and stable culture that influenced later cultures of Europe, the Middle East and Africa. After the Pharaonic era, Egypt itself came under the influence of Hellenism, for a time Christianity, and later, Islamic culture.

 It is famous today for the great monuments which celebrated the triumphs of the rulers and honored the gods of the land. The culture is often misunderstood as having been obsessed with death.

religion
Religion
  • Egypt is a religious country to the core.Islam is the main religion; Moslems represent about 90% of the total population, while Coptic Christians, and other Christian denominations, form the remaining 10%. Also applied a lot of gods and they usually make rituals.
l andmarks
Landmarks

Valley of the Kings

The Valley of the Kings on the west bank of the Nile at Luxor is the site of more than 60 tombs and more than 120 chambers where the pharaohs were interred. It was here the tomb of Tutankhamen was discovered.

Temple of Luxor

The Temple of Luxor was constructed about 1400 B.C. under the supervision of Amenhotep III and Ramesses II. It was the centerpiece of many celebrations, including the most important one, the festival of Opet. During the festival as expanded from 11 to 27 days under Ramesses III, more than 11,000 loaves of bread and 385 containers of beer were distributed to attendees each year.

Temple of Karnak

The Temple of Karnak, an elaborate complex of temples, chapels and pylons not far from Luxor, was a vital venue for worshippers as long as 4,000 years ago and was viewed as a center of gods and priests. The Great Sphinx, consisting of a lion’s body and a human head, was built in about 3,000 B.C. Fully uncovered in the 1920s, this Egyptian landmark is probably the most recognizable in the world. It’s the largest statue in the world carved from one piece of stone. Most tour companies provide packages that include walking tours of the pyramids, allowing visitors to circle the Great Sphinx.

Pyramids of Giza

Giza is home to three large pyramids that are situated around the Great Sphinx. The pyramids once had smooth exteriors, but weather and sand storms have eroded the polished limestone that made up the outer layer of the structures. The Great Pyramid, the largest of the pyramids, is the only one of the seven wonders of the ancient world still in existence.

IbnTulun Mosque

The IbnTulun Mosque dates to 879 A.D. and was constructed of mudbrick and wood under the supervision of ShariaIbnTulun. It’s the oldest mosque in Cairo whose original construction remains intact, and it's also the largest mosque in the city.

tourist attractions
Tourist attractions

10Mosque of IbnTulun

9Dahab

8Siwa

Oasis

7Egyptian Museum

6Abu Simbel

5Valley of the Kings

4River Nile Cruise

3Red Sea Reef2Karnak

1Giza Necropolis

More info in here: http://www.touropia.com/top-attractions-in-egypt/

language
language
  • The only language in Egypt that is considered a "major language" is Arabic, spoken by about 90% of the population. The other 10% speak these 7 languages:1. Coptic 2. Domari 3. Egypt Sign Language 4. Greek 5. Kenuzi-Dongola6.Nobiin 7. Siwi
history
History

Egyptian history dates back to about 4000 B.C. , when the kingdoms of upper and lower Egypt, already highly sophisticated, were united. Egypt's golden age coincided with the 18th and 19th dynasties (16th to 13th century B.C. ), during which the empire was established. Persia conquered Egypt in 525 B.C. , Alexander the Great subdued it in 332 B.C. , and then the dynasty of the Ptolemies ruled the land until 30 B.C. , when Cleopatra, last of the line, committed suicide and Egypt became a Roman, then Byzantine, province. Arab caliphs ruled Egypt from 641 until 1517, when the Turks took it for their Ottoman Empire.

Napoléon's armies occupied the country from 1798 to 1801. In 1805, Mohammed Ali, leader of a band of Albanian soldiers, became pasha of Egypt. After completion of the Suez Canal in 1869, the French and British took increasing interest in Egypt. British troops occupied Egypt in 1882, and British resident agents became its actual administrators, though it remained under nominal Turkish sovereignty. In 1914, this fiction was ended, and Egypt became a protectorate of Britain.

Egyptian nationalism, led by Zaghlul Pasha and the Wafd Party, forced Britain to relinquish its claims on the country. Egypt became an independent sovereign state on Feb. 28, 1922, with Fu'ad I as its king. In 1936, by an Anglo-Egyptian treaty of alliance, all British troops and officials were to be withdrawn, except from the Suez Canal Zone. When World War II started, Egypt remained neutral.

sources

The images are use with ilustrative fines.

  • http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/egypt-country-profile.html
  • http://www.ask.com/question/egyptian-customs-traditions
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Egypt
  • http://www.youregypt.com/eguide/genguide/religion/
  • http://traveltips.usatoday.com/egyptian-landmarks-1214.html
  • http://www.touropia.com/top-attractions-in-egypt/
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Egypt
  • https://www.google.com.gt/search?q=History+of+egypt+summary&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gbIOU8uYLZa-sQT--YC4Bw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=635#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=s7EP_HKuhpRJdM%253A%3B3VFdxFK1TdKe8M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fepod.usra.edu%252F.a%252F6a0105371bb32c970b017ee89d7845970d-pi%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fepod.usra.edu%252Fblog%252F2013%252F03%252Fthe-pyramids-of-ancient-egypt-and-the-great-sphinx.html%3B1000%3B668
Sources