Chapter 10. Precipitation and Evaporation. Causes of Air Movement. Solar energy does not heat Planet Earth uniformly Hotter air near the equator rises Colder air near the poles sinks. General Circulation of the Atmosphere. Lapse Rates: The change in temperature with altitude.
Precipitation and Evaporation
1. Select two watersheds of approximate equal size, shape and aspect.
2. Monitor streamflow for several years and find the correlation between the two.
3. Hold one watershed as the control, and alter the second watershed, in this case by converting to grass.
4. Monitor the change in streamflow and compare to what would have happened if the watershed had not been treated.
1. If three inches of rain falls on 100 acres, this is equal to:
a. 300 acre-inches of rain
b. 1,089,000 cubic feet of rain
c. 30,861 cubic meters of rain
d. 25 acre-feet of rain
2. Name the four precipitation mechanisms
3. Which of the following combinations of air masses will produce the maximum precipitation:
a. A continental maritime meeting a tropical polar
b. A continental polar meeting a continental maritime
c. A tropical maritime meeting a continental polar
d. A tropical continental meeting a polar continental
4. Is canopy interception more like evaporation or transpiration? Explain your answer!!