J 1 s tudent e mployment
1 / 17

J-1 S tudent E mployment - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Updated On :

J-1 S tudent E mployment. Director Wesley Young International Student Advisors Marie Manlapaz Virag Nikolics Alice Rhee Student Services Support Linda Heckert . Overview. International Students in J-1 status have limited work authorization available. On-campus employment

Related searches for J-1 S tudent E mployment

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'J-1 S tudent E mployment' - jennis

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
J 1 s tudent e mployment

J-1Student Employment


Wesley Young

International Student Advisors

Marie Manlapaz

Virag Nikolics

Alice Rhee

Student Services Support

Linda Heckert


International Students in J-1 status have limited work authorization available.

  • On-campus employment

  • Off-campus employment

On campus employment
On-campus Employment

  • Academic Year: Part-time

    (no more than 20 hours per week)

  • Summer and official school breaks: Full-time

  • “On campus” = UC Davis Campus including UC Davis Extension and UC Davis Medical Center

  • SISS authorization is required for on-campus employment BEFORE the employment begins

On campus employment application process
On-Campus Employment Application Process

  • Complete a J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Application Form

  • Submit J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Application Form with job offer letter to SISS

  • SISS authorizes on-campus employment in 5 business days

Off campus employment
Off-campus Employment

  • Academic Training

  • Economic Hardship

Work authorization is ALWAYS required BEFORE off-campus work begins

Academic training
Academic Training

  • Work, training or experience related to field of study

  • Employer-specific = separate authorization for each training

  • Paid vs. unpaid academic training

  • Simultaneous or sequential academic training

  • Part-time employment = full-time academic training


    Carolina works at 2 labs off campus for 3 months:

    Lab 1 = 10 hours/week Lab 2 = 8 hours/week

    2 separate academic training authorizations from SISS

    Carolina has used 3 months of academic training

Academic training timeline
Academic Training Timeline

  • Work authorization is required BEFORE employment begins

  • Eligible for immediate academic training with authorization from SISS

  • Post-completion academic training:

    Employment must begin no later than 30 days after program completion.

    Reminder: DS-2019 must be extended for academic training before DS-2019 expires.

Length of academic training
Length of Academic Training

Undergraduate & Pre-doctoral training:

  • 18 months total OR

  • Length of program of study if less than 18 months


    program of study is 9 months =

    9 months of Academic Training

    Postdoctoral Training:

  • 36 months total for postdoctoral assignments

J 1 student employment

Unpaid Academic Training

  • May participate only during program of study

  • Approval of academic department andSISS

Academic training application process
Academic Training Application Process

  • Schedule an appointment with your SISS Advisor

  • Request a recommendation letter from your department

  • Complete a J-1 Student Employment Approval form

  • Submit application to SISS

  • SISS issues academic training authorization

Economic hardship
Economic Hardship

  • Proof of unforeseen financial circumstances after enrollment in school

  • Enrolled full-time and in good academic standing

  • Work is limited to 20 hours/week, full-time during official school breaks and vacations

  • Work does not need to be related to field of study

  • Authorization is granted by SISS or program sponsor

    See your International Student Advisor at SISS!

Frequently asked questions
Frequently Asked Questions

I really need a job. Can I work anywhere (restaurant, bookstore, etc.) in Davis with off-campus work authorization?

  • Academic Training: Employment must be directly related to your academic program at UC Davis

  • Economic Hardship: Employment can be anywhere, but authorization is limited


Frequently asked questions1
Frequently Asked Questions

I can’t find a job.Can SISS help me find employment?

SISS can help you with the following:

  • Information about your immigration status

  • Applying for off-campus work authorization

  • Referral to the Internship & Career Center

    (located in South Hall)


Frequently asked questions2
Frequently Asked Questions

I’m a newly arrived student in the U.S. and I am finishing my

second quarter at UC Davis. Can I start working off-campus?

  • Yes, you can apply for academic training when you begin your academic program.

  • You should never begin to work off-campus without first contacting your International Student Advisor.


Frequently asked questions3
Frequently Asked Questions

Can I work more than 50% on campus during the academic year?

You may work only with additional work authorization from SISS. Please meet with your International Student Advisor if you are in this situation.


Frequently asked questions4
Frequently Asked Questions

My academic program at UC Davis is for 6 months. How long is my Academic Training?

You qualify for no more than 6 months of Academic Training.

I’m finished with my academic program. Can I still apply for Academic Training?

You must begin your Academic Training within 30 days of program completion. You have to apply for a DS-2019 extension before DS-2019 expiration date.



Contact us
Contact Us

Your International Student Advisor is assigned according to your last name.

Advisors’ Contact Information

Student Services Support

Linda Heckert



A to GMarie Manlapaz



H to L Alice Rhee



M to ZVirag Nikolics



Appointments can be made by calling

(530) 752-0864 Ext. 0