Crystallizing understanding:. Reading and writing multi-genre research. What is a multigenre paper?.
Reading and writing multi-genre research
(HomiBhabha, The Location of Culture, 1994)
The Assignment: Identify something you have inherited in some way, no matter how concrete or abstract. Illustrate this inheritance in a multi-genre paper, in which you weave narrative of the inheritance with other forms of writing, such as poetry, prose, and non-linguistic representations.
Pointing – Underline passages that provide you with some understanding of this topic and this author.
What is the purpose of each piece/how will each genre contribute to your (and the reader’s) understanding of the topic?
- Creativity: (imaginative, unexpected, artistic, multiple perspectives with resonance and depth, creating new perspectives)
- Personally meaningful (This might be expressed in the letter, justifying why I picked this topic.)
- Variety (each piece works with a unique set of conventions)
- Evokes an emotional response from the reader and viewer. - Pieces are of an appropriate length (demonstrating a level of commitment and the convention you are using).
- Polished - There is an order that makes sense
–flow- - Overall project is coherent and connections are clear.
– Sustains interest.