welcome to suny oneonta l.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Welcome to SUNY Oneonta! PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Welcome to SUNY Oneonta!

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 35

Welcome to SUNY Oneonta! - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

Welcome to SUNY Oneonta!. Non-degree Student Orientation Maureen Artale, Academic Advisor artalemp@oneonta.edu. This presentation and lots of other important information is stored at http://continuinged.oneonta.edu for your use. Be prepared to take a few notes. First, some terminology.

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Welcome to SUNY Oneonta!' - ivie

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
welcome to suny oneonta

Welcome to SUNY Oneonta!

Non-degree Student Orientation

Maureen Artale, Academic Advisor


first some terminology
First, some terminology
  • Non-degree undergraduate – students who are not yet in a degree program but are taking undergraduate courses. This means that students with this status are not accepted to work toward a specific major. (Also referred to as non-matriculated or pre-matriculated.)
  • Matriculated – students who have applied to the Office of College Admissions and have been accepted in a degree program.
full time part time
Full-Time & Part-time

Non-degree does not mean the same thing as part-time.

  • Full-time means that you are taking 12 or more credit hours.
  • Non-degree students are typically allowed to take a maximum of 13 credit hours in a semester.
  • Part-time means that you are taking fewer than 12 credit hours.
if you are pre matriculated your goal is probably to matriculate
If you are pre-matriculated, your goal is (probably) to matriculate

Remember: You may take up to 24 credits as a non-degree student. You should apply for matriculation as early as possible to avoid reaching your limit.

while you are an ndu
While you are an NDU
  • See Continuing Education advisor at least once per semester
  • Register with your PIN on the day before classes begin between 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
  • You do not have to remain “continuously enrolled”
    • In other words, if you don’t attend for a semester, you can still come back without penalty. The 24 credit hour total limit will still apply, no matter how long it takes to accumulate those 24 credits.
when you apply for matriculation
When you apply for matriculation:
  • Apply as early in the semester as possible.
  • When you have taken courses as an NDU, you need to apply as a transfer FROM Oneonta State to Oneonta State.
  • Work with your admissions counselor for all questions regarding your SUNY Application.
once you are matriculated
Once you are matriculated,
  • attend in the semester for which you have been accepted.
  • indicate whether you intend to attend full- or part-time.
  • remain continuously enrolled for each semester until you graduate.
    • If you need to take a semester off, you will have to fill out a petition requesting a leave of absence from the Office of Student Development in Netzer.
  • The Center for Academic Development and Enrichment (CADE) provides free tutoring in any 100-level course (except performance courses) and most 200-level courses.
  • Sign up early!
  • Go to http://cade.oneonta.edu to apply for a tutor.
highly recommended course prof 120
Highly Recommended Course: Prof 120
  • Prof 120: College Learning Strategies is a great course taught here in CADE. The purpose of the course is to help you consider what works best for you as a learner and how you can marshal strategies and resources to benefit you as you go through college.
  • This course fulfills the WS2 attribute for general education
get involved
Get Involved!
  • Join an organization!
  • Go to http://www.oneonta.edu/development/huntunion/ to find out more about campus events and sign up for email newsletter
the student activity fee
The Student Activity Fee
  • An automatic charge of $80 is applied for the Student Activity Fee to all students’ bills who are registered for more than 9 s.h.
  • When you pay this fee, your ID card gives you discounts on concert tickets, admission to campus events, and free O.P.T. bus service.
  • You can pay $80 if you are taking fewer than 9 s.h. and wish to have the SA services.
  • You can appeal to the Student Association to have the $80 charge waived if you are a student who is 1) student teaching, 2) commuting more than 25 miles to campus, or 3) studying abroad.
snow emergency
Snow Emergency
  • Weather information and cancellation line: 607-436-2000
  • Inexpensive emergency housing in Morris Conference Center
    • Snow rate $11
    • Commuter
      • $20 (1 person)
      • $30 (shared with 2 people)
  • There are lockers in the gyms that you can sign out. You need your student ID.
  • Childcare is available as space permits at BUGBEE (aka SUCO Children’s Center).
stuff you need to do
Stuff you need to do . . .
  • Health Center – MMR & Meningitis
  • Admissions – application for matriculation
    • (keep copies of everything you turn in)
  • REGISTER AT 1:00 Tomorrow
    • Student Loan info
    • FOF information
  • Buy (Used) Books
  • ID, SAC & Parking permit – after you register & pay bill
your computer logins
Your Computer Logins
  • Your computer account here provides you a wide range of tools and information. You need to sign up for your computer account this week.
  • You can use dial-up internet service from the college while you’re a student here.
  • http://helpdesk.oneonta.edu/Xoops/
your student id number
Your Student ID Number
  • Also called the A number, it is the letter A and eight digits: A00555555.
  • Your PIN was mailed to you.
  • Your student ID number is used with your PIN to:
    • Open your computer account at http://www.oneonta.edu/useradmin
    • Access all your financial and academic records at http://webservices.oneonta.edu
your username and password
Your Username and Password
  • You set this up using your Student ID # & PIN at www.oneonta.edu/useradmin.
  • Username
    • first four letters of your last name
    • first initial
    • middle initial (if you have one)
    • last two digits of your social security number.
  • Emelda Marie Marcos, SSN: 123-45-6789 would be:


shopping for courses
Shopping for courses
  • Go to http://webservices.oneonta.edu
  • You can go on this site today and look to see what is available by clicking on “open/closed classes.” Please realize that the enrollments WILL change before you’re allowed to register on Tuesday.
  • If a course has a C in the far left column, that means it’s closed.
  • If a course has SS in the section, it’s a special honors section, and only honors program students will be allowed to take it.
  • If a course has WW in the section, it’s an online course.
choosing courses
Choosing courses
  • General Education
    • See ivory sheet for “attribute” codes, such as NL2, N2, S2, etc.
    • You can search by attribute when you are looking up available courses on the Web.
  • Courses in the desired major
    • Look for courses that also appear in requirements or in “related work” for the major you want to pursue so that you can “double dip” if possible.
    • Major restrictions
courses with pre requisites
Courses with Pre-Requisites
  • A pre-requisite is usually a course, permission of instructor, or sophomore or junior standing. You will not be able to register for such classes using on-line registration.
  • If you have earned a pre-requisite, you will have to an Add/Drop form with you to the instructor or department chair and ask for a signature. Bring the signed form to the Office of Continuing Education in 135 Netzer as soon as possible so that you can be registered for the course.

BUS 200Critical & Creative Thinking & Problem Solving in Business3 s.h.

A course aimed at helping students develop their problem solving and critical and creative thinking skills and to apply them to the world around them in general and to business, economics, and accounting problems in particular.Prerequisites: 3 s.h. of ACCT, BUS, or ECON; SoS; ACCT, BSEC, ECON majors only   (LA)

  • Be on a computer at 1:00 p.m.
  • Write down CRNs for open classes you might possibly want to take so you can put in all CRNs at 1:00 p.m. on 1/15.
  • Have alternatives ready to put in.
if at first you don t succeed
If at first you don’t succeed . . .
  • Call us at 436-2522 if you need help.
  • Continue adjusting until 6:00 p.m.
  • Add/Drop is your friend.
    • You have one week to make changes to your 15-week schedule without penalty
  • Just be sure you are registered for SOMETHING by 6:00 pm or you will be considered to have registered late and will have to pay a $40.00 late registration fee.
some tips for college success a k a preachy bits of advice
Some tips for college success A.K.A. - Preachy Bits of Advice
  • When going to your first classes, take with you:
    • A pen AND pencil
    • Notebook with removable paper --in case you’re asked to write something down and turn it in
    • Your local address and phone number, your e-mail address
    • The main text(s) for the class (if possible)
    • Date planner of your choice (if possible)
Course Syllabus
  • This is the professor’s contract with you. It provides due dates, policies, course outline, and much more.
  • Use this syllabus to keep up to date by referring to it daily.
  • Remember, changes may occur to the dates and deadlines listed, so you must attend class regularly.
before you go to the second class
Before you go to the second class
  • Buy your books and supplies
  • Preview your text
  • Read any assigned chapter(s) or any chapter that might appear on the syllabus; realize that YOU HAVE TO READ THAT CHAPTER BEFORE YOU GO TO THE NEXT CLASS.
taking notes
Taking Notes

You will probably notice that note-taking in college is different than in high school.

  • Most of what you’ll be tested on is (or should be) in your notes and from the assigned text.
  • Take a study skills mini course on note-taking
  • Go to CADE and meet with a professional study skills tutor for assistance.
now for the fun stuff placement tests
Now for the fun stuff . . .PLACEMENT TESTS

If you plan to take COMP 100 or any Math course this semester, you will need the results of your placement test before you register. Call me tomorrow morning for your results, 436-2522. If you register for something you are ineligible to take, you will be removed from the class.

placement tests v college writing exam
Placement Tests v. College Writing Exam
  • Please realize that your placement tests are only for the purpose of properly assigning you to classes. After you matriculate at SUNY Oneonta, you will have to also take a College Writing Exam. This is a different test. Be careful not to confuse the two.
placement exams
Placement Exams
  • Writing
    • If you plan to take COMP 100 this semester, let me know by writing “RUSH” on the outside of your blue-book
  • Reading
  • Math
    • If you plan to take a MATH course this semester, let me know by writing “RUSH” on your test.