Behavioural Additionality in Strategic Basic Research. ‘New Frontiers in Evaluation’ Vienna, 24 April 2006 Jan Larosse, EC-DG RTD Paul Schreurs, IWT Flanders. Outline. Why new evaluation concepts? What is BA? Context IWT SBO programme ‘Internalising’ BA in the programme design
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
‘New Frontiers in Evaluation’
Vienna, 24 April 2006
Jan Larosse, EC-DG RTD
Paul Schreurs, IWT Flanders
SBO = "competence centre"-type of programme
financial support of 2,5 to 3 million euros to allow the funding of a team of 5 to 7 researchers for a period of four years (open to all disciplines, all actors).
"high risk-high potential" strategic basic research integrated in a strategic knowledge platform
with wide opportunities for the application or exploitation of the research results
+ an active commitment to contribute to the effective utilization of the research output by companies or social profit organisations
- cultural differences and barriers in industry-science relations; lack of mutual trust and compatibility;
- dominant culture of internally oriented academic research;
- lack of industrial backing, commitment or absorption capacity
- risk of ‘lip service’ or opportunistic behaviour.
not necessarily unique to smaller regions but can be reinforced in smaller regional innovation systems:
- Balance between international research networking and the expected focus towards the ‘economic return to the region’;
- Match between the science base and the economy or society. Missing links in the chain of value creation.
- Missing links in the chain of knowledge creation. Gaps may be present in the available expertise within the region.
-round 1 : focus on the eligibility and the strategic fit of the proposal within the programme
-round 2 : focus on the scientific quality of the proposal
-round 3 : focus on the utilisation or valorisation value of the proposal
2) to have a balanced expert assessment involving two types of essential expertise
-international high-level scientific experts with strong scientific expertise in the core of the proposal-highly experienced experts who can judge the economic or social/societal exploitation potential / absorption capacity of the research output in the Flanders region