Beyond the Computer Basics Working with applications, files and folders. Last Updated: March 2008. Lesson Plan. Lesson 1 – Applications (Programs) Description and examples Where to find them Exercises Lesson 2 – Saving/Organizing Files Creating Folders Storage devices
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Last Updated: March 2008
Lesson 1 – Applications (Programs)
Applications (programs) – Allow you to create, view and edit files. Different applications create different kinds of files.
Four ways to “launch” applications:
1. Double clicking on desktop application icons
2. Single clicking on icons on the bottom task bar
3. From the Start menu
4. Double click on a file that you have created in that application
1. Launching Applications from Desktop icons
2. Launching Applications from the Task Bar
(bottom of desktop)
3. Launching Applications from the Start Menu
Exercise 1: Using Word to Create a File
Lesson 1: Summary Questions
An application/program (e.g. word, excel, powerpoint)
2. Where can I go to find and launch the applications/programs on my computer?
Desktop icons, bottom task bar or start menu (or double click on a file created in that application)
Lesson 2 – Storing and Organizing Files
Exercise 2: Creating Folders
Now try these steps again on your own to
create another folder inside this folder
CD / DVD
Memory stick, USB Key, Thumb Drive …
How to See the Files on Your Computer’s Storage Devices
Exercise 3: Copying a File
Now follow these steps again on your own to copy one
more file from the CD/Floppy disc to your folder on the desktop
Lesson 2: Summary Questions
1. What can I use to organize my files?
2. Where can I store (save) my files? (examples?)
On storage devices, e.g. Hard Drive, Memory Stick, DVD
Using the “My Computer” window
Lesson 3 – Editing, Saving and Deleting Files
Exercise 4: Accessing and Editing a Saved File
Why Delete Files?
take up storage space.
Exercise 5: Deleting a File
What is the Recycle Bin?
Exercise 6: Restoring a Deleted File
Lesson 3: Summary Questions
1. How can I free up space on my storage devices?
By deleting files
2. Where can I go to find and “restore” a file I deleted by mistake?
The recycle bin