1. How did the mongoose come to live with Teddy? • A. They purchased him at a pet store. • B. Teddy’s dog brought him home after a hunt. • C. He washed up after a large rain storm. • D. He was a present from his father.
2. What are mongoose known for? • A. Keeping squirrels out of your yard. • B. Killing and eating snakes. • C. Domestic pets. • D. Carrying diseases.
3. What was the first occasion that the mongoose saved Teddy? • A. He attacked a squirrel that was after him. • B. He warned Teddy that his mom was coming. • C. He killed a small snake that was close to Teddy. • D. He helped him with his homework.
4. Where does this story take place? • A. Indiana • B. An Indian reservation. • C. India • D. Africa
5. What were the names of the two Cobras? • A. Karait and Darzee • B. Nag and Nagaina • C. Rudyard and Kipling • D. Teddy and Chuchundra
6. Which phrase demonstrates a simile? • A. Teddy yawned as he fell asleep. • B. Nag swayed back and forth like a dancer as • he hypnotized his prey. • C. The angry mongoose hissed loudly. • D. Karait fell fast asleep.
7. How do you know when a mongoose is angry? • A. He will growl at you. • B. All of his fur will stand on end. • C. His claws begin popping out. • D. His eyes turn red.
8. Which snake was the second to be killed? • A. Nagaina • B. Nag • C. Karait • D. Copper
9. How did Rikki finally get Nagaina’s attention? • A. Trapped her in the bathroom. • B. Ate all but one of her eggs. • C. Threw fire onto Nag’s body. • D. Stole her nest.
10. Choose the answer that best defines the word. • Immensely • A. Powerless • B. Enormously • C. Brave and determined • D. Tense
11. Cowered • A. Powerless • B. To tremble with fear and shrink back • C. Brave and determined • D. A tired cow
12. Valiant • A. Qualities of a hero • B. A phone service • C. Rude and unfeeling • D. Without a home
13. Impotent • A. Full of fear • B. Brave and determined • C. Powerless • D. A potion
14. Consolation • A. To make one feel better • B. A couch • C. Medicine for gout • D. A contract
15. • Decide if you liked this week’s story or not. Explain why, or why not. Please write in complete sentences!!!
16. • Which character did you most identify with in the story. Explain why.
17. • Which part of the story was your favorite and why?
18. • Write a small paragraph on how you would change the story if you were the author.
19. • Draw a small sketch of one of the characters from the story.