Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Critical literacy with ESL students: Language learning through affirmation of linguistic & cultural identities. Sunny Man Chu LAU PhD candidate, Second Language Education Department of Curriculum, Teaching & Learning/ OISE Mei Lan MA Teacher, Toronto District School Board
Sunny Man Chu LAU
PhD candidate, Second Language Education
Department of Curriculum, Teaching & Learning/ OISE
Mei Lan MA
Teacher, Toronto District School Board
Master’s student, OISE
But what may a CL program for beginning ELLs look like?
CL research with ELLs
CL research with beginning ELLS
critical users of information and knowledge, acceptance of diverse cultures, etc.
Lankshear’s (1997) three takes on critical literacy object(s) of critique
ESL students/ research participants
Critical Literacy: An integrative approach
1. Integrative critical literacy instructional model (built on Ada and Campoy’ s creative reading approach (1991, 2004)
2. Luke & Freebody’s (1999) concept of
a. Code breakers b. Meaning makers
c. Text users d. Text critics
(Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 ELLs)
Picnicking in the woods,
going on the trip ,fishing
trees, singing birds, clear sky
Kite-flying, moon admiring
playing with lanterns.
a. The Story of My Name
b. My Family
c. Who am I?
Negotiating new identities
What to retain, what to forgo?
Ngo (2004; 2005)
(Epstein & Kheimets, 2000)
immigrant experience ≈ bereavement
1. My name is X. L.. My character is more gentle, my name mean glitter filled with sunshine . My parents chose the name for me . l have no sister.I have not any nickname. l like my name , because my name is very beautiful like the meteor.
I have nicknames. My friend call my “chicken”. I quite like my nickname because it is short and easy to write it. I like my name to because my name is my mam and dad to it give me.
1. I love going to school, becausein the school, I can see my friends.I love shopping with my mother, becauseshe will buy many beautiful clothes for me.I love caring for my friends, becauseI love them.I love sharing cakes with my sister, becauseshe likes cake.I hate going to hospital, becauseI will scared!I hate running in rainy, becauseI will fall down on earth!I hate eating with my uncle, becausehe can eat too much!I hate shopping with my friends, becausethey will use my money!
I hate beans, corns and animals.selfishness and jealousy;summers hot and winters cold;English food and books;being popular,nosey people,smoker.liars. I love computers and Eureka Seven. Jackies Chan and being home;learning, playing, walking,Pepsi and strawberry flavors;green and black,video games,camping,
I like playing in the snow,playing violins.playing computer games,swimming in the pool.eating chocolate ice cream,watching movies in the cinema ,playing soccer and basket ball with my friend
I like comic Naruto ,One piece.
I am a Chinese that can speak Mandarin very well.
I am a basketball fan that can shoot a basket very nicely.
I am a student that loves to learn.
I am a gymnast that loves to get strong.
I am a boy that can get any girl friends I like.
I am a good swimmer that wins championship.
I am a student who loves to learn.
I am a bird that loves to fly.
I am a cat that likes eating fish.
I am a boy that is healthy. (by Sam)
I can do push-ups 40 times per minute.
I can play the race car games very fast.
I can read the books really loud.
I can use some words to make sentences.
I can speak Mandarin very well.
I can walk to school every day.
I can sing for a long time. (by Boah)
I can help my mother to wash dishes.
I can speak a lot Cantonese.
I can run on the Great Wall.
I can play computer games very well.
I can fold the clothes every day.
I can read a book every day.
I can finish my homework in one hour… (by Yorkie)
I can play different kinds of baseball.
I can read Chinese books.
I can write in Chinese
I can ply pokemon games
I can speak a little English
I can read world map. (by Sam)
I can do my text very well when is open-book test.
I can make the house very clean.
I can finish my homework fast.
I can play a lot of instruments.
I can hand in my homework on time.
I can decorate my house very beautifully.
I can sing songs very loudly. (by Terri)
“Are they dumb?" /“Are they stupid?”
“Why we have so many ESL students in our class?”
- physical or social exclusion
What, Who, Why & What we can do about it
(by B.C. Teachers Federation Program Against Racism)
3. Intervener 4. perpetrator
-fear of not having the language to report
-fear of revenge
Input & output
Concerted effort of ESL teacher, and the whole school in helping students to feel they are legitimate members of a community
1. Hi.. I thought it was awesome... and sad. It helped me to remember the ESL students..and I've made more of an effort to talk to Yoland and Melodie... Yoland doesn't want to present her presentation to her class which is really upsetting... I wish I could do more. It's too bad that Sunny can't present these findings to the whole staff... I think a lot of people (on staff) don’t really have a clue what the students are actually going through.. (or they turn a blind eye like some of the students)...