alternative career pathways in engineering technology n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 17

Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 219 Views
  • Uploaded on

Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology. Metropolis Conference March 13, 2014 Rick Tachuk, CCTT. Why Alternative Career Pathways?.

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

Alternative Career Pathways in Engineering Technology


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Presentation Transcript
    1. Alternative Career Pathwaysin Engineering Technology Metropolis Conference March 13, 2014 Rick Tachuk, CCTT

    2. Why Alternative Career Pathways? Alternative Career Pathways enable individuals to put their transferable skills and experience to work in fields applicable to their professional training.

    3. Alternative Pathways may be applied to a wide range of related professions that share similar qualifications and skills – e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Accounting, Law & Engineering and Engineering Technology The two are closely related ….but different …. Where May Alternative Pathways Apply?

    4. Professional Engineers Technologists Technicians All three professions are involved in Engineering but at varying levels In Canada …the Engineering Team Includes:

    5. Professional Engineers Are required by law to assume professional responsibility for the design, research and development, commissioning, and field review and construction of engineering projects. Technologists Apply theoretical and practical methods to design, plan, develop, test, manufacture, construct, install, commission, engineered products, processes, systems and services. Technicians Assist with the design, development, manufacturing, testing, construction, installation, commission, operation and maintenance of engineered products, processes, systems &services. Team Roles and Responsibilities

    6. Agricultural Biochemical Biomedical Biosystems Chemical Civil Computer Engineering Electrical Engineering Environmental Forest Geological Geomatics Industrial Marine Mechanical Metallurgical Mining and Mineral Processing Naval Architecture Petroleum Physics Software Engineering Structural Bioscience Building Chemical Civil Electrical Electronics Geomatics Industrial Information Instrumentation Mechanical Mineral Petroleum Renewable Resources 23 Engineering 14 TechnologyDisciplines Disciplines(Regulated Profession) (Non-Regulated)

    7. It is estimated that approximately 10 percent of new arrivals to Canada with engineering experience actually obtain a professional license. What happens to the other 90 percent? Why are Alternative Careers Important?

    8. CCTT’s New On-Line Engineering Career Pathway Tool links Engineering with Technology Accessible from the Canadian Technology Immigration Network web portal www.ctin.ca Linked to the Engineers Canada IEG Roadmap Exploring Alternative Careers

    9. Start With Self-Identification

    10. Select Your Discipline

    11. A Civil Engineering Pathway Leads To …

    12. A Geological Engineering Pathway Leads to …

    13. Multiple Paths May Link to the Same Occupation

    14. Access Relevant Occupational Profiles Each Occupational Profile Provides … • An Occupation Overview • Typical Duties and Responsibilities • Educational Requirements • NOC Classification and Links to WIC

    15. Occupational Profiles Help Determine • Has a candidates training included such tasks? • Would he or she be competent to engage in such duties? • Are they interested in this career? • How one should promote their valuable skills and experience to potential employers.

    16. Alternative Career Pathways Can Provide • A shorter path to employment • A rewarding and lucrative career • Canadian experience in related to field • A bridge to professional licensure in Engineering or Technology

    17. Explore the World of Pathways Visit www.engineeringcareerpathways.ca