Three Cranes Grove, ADFpresents: Cranes for the Cure
Columbus, OH Komen Race for the Cure Columbus geared up for breast cancer awareness by turning ‘Pink’.
75% of the money raised locally by Komen Columbus stays in its 23-county service area and is used to conduct breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25% goes to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure to fund national breast cancer research programs. This year, more than 30 grants were awarded locally to help provide breast health programming for more than 85,000 women, ages 15 and older, in 21 counties. Komen Columbus has raised nearly $11 million since it began in 1993.
In 2008, Susan G. Komen for the Cure celebrates the 25th anniversary of the Komen Race for the Cure, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, with well over 1 million participants since 2005. Columbus is one of the 10th largest Komen races in the world. This year over 40,000 participants woke up early to make their voices and those of their loved ones heard.
The weather was calling for a rainy day. Instead, the Cranes relished the beautiful sun.
Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women in the United States. It is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among nearly every racial and ethnic group. Race is not considered a factor that might increase a woman’s chance of getting breast cancer. However, the rates of developing and dying from the disease differ among ethnic groups.
The sheer numbers of people that attended were a bit daunting at first, but the Cranes jumped right in and became a part of the masses
Early detection is key to survival. If breast cancer is found and diagnosed while still confined to the breast, the 5-year survival rate is more than 90 percent. Timely screening mammograms could prevent 15 to 30 percent of all deaths from breast cancer in women over age 40.
● Except for skin cancers, breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer among women.
● Breast cancer is second only to lung cancer in cancer deaths among women. ● An estimated 40,480 women will die from breast cancer in 2008.
Along the way walkers and runners had plenty of support and entertainment to spur them on. Amongst the musicians was the OSU brass band.
● An estimated 1,990 new cases (1 percent of all breast cancers) of breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in 2008. ● An estimated 450 men will die from breast cancer in 2008.
We walked in honor of those that have gone before: Heather Lee Beront Hoff January 22, 2007
● One woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes, and one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States.
Diane Scott Shirley Willis Kathy Scott We walked in celebration for those that have survived.
● An estimated 182,460 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States during 2008.
This year there were many sponsors, vendors and supporters. Every mile was marked and as each was reached you could hear people cheering the walkers and runners on.
● Breast cancer death rates have been decreasing since 1990. Decline in mortality likely due to improvements in treatment and early detection
When we turned the last mile we could hear the roar of the engines as our local Harley Riders showed their support.
● In addition to invasive breast cancer, 67,770 new cases of in situ breast cancer are expected to occur among women during 2008. Of these, about 85 percent will be ductal carcinoma in situ.
As we entered the final legs, the sight that met us was inspiring and overwhelming. Luckily, our own MJD was able to get the shot.
● Breast cancer accounts for more than 1 in 4 cancers diagnosed in women in the United States.
Crossing the finish line there was water, fruit and yogurt waiting for the participants. Yum!
Afterwards, the crowds stuck around and listened to the roll call of survivors on the State House front steps.
Tired, the Cranes had a seat and enjoyed the nature around them while appreciating what they had been a part of that day.
Crane Walkers: Shawneen Scott Reverend Michael J. Dangler Anna Gail (photographer) Nan Scott (friend of the Cranes) Slept in for the Cure: Maggie Collins Donator for the Grove: Sarah