BLR’s Human Resources Training Presentations in Pennsylvania. Substance Abuse in the Workplace. Goals. Understand that substance abuse is a major problem in the workplace Recognize the signs of substance abuse
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Substance Abuse in the Workplace
1. Are you familiar with the company’s policies regarding the use, possession, or sale of drugs or alcohol on the premises? YES NO
2. Are you familiar with the terms and require-ments of the Drug-Free Workplace Act? Does it apply to your company? Have youfulfilled your responsibilities in the mandated drug-free awareness program? YES NO
3. Do you remind your employees about company policy on a regular basis (at least once a month)? YES NO
4. Do you distribute and post information about substance abuse as requested by HR? YES NO
5. Do you know how and to whom to refer employees with substance abuse problems? YES NO
6.Do you know what to do in an alcohol- or drug-related emergency? YES NO
7. Are you familiar with the symptoms of alcohol abuse? YES NO
8. Are you familiar with the symptoms of drug abuse? YES NO
9. Are you aware of the people in your depart-ment who are taking prescription drugs that might affect their performance? YES NO
10. Do you document incidents that might be alcohol- or drug-related, including date, time, and witnesses? YES NO
11. Do you have those involved in these incidents attest to your reports? YES NO
12. Do you maintain confidentiality in your handling of suspected substance abuse problems (except as required by the reporting requirements of the law and company policy)? YES NO
1. Two of the most common signs of substance abuse are frequent ________ and _______.
2. Most substance abusers are unemployed. True or False
3. As many as ____ percent of American workers have a substance abuse problem.
4. Your role in managing workplace substance abuse includes: ___________, ___________, _____________, _____________, and _____________.
5. Employee privacy laws require you to keep information about an employee’s substance abuse confidential, except for talking to your manager and the health care professionals involved in treating the employee. True or False
6. Detecting substance abuse is often difficult because _______________.
7. When you suspect a substance abuse problem based on performance or one of the other warning signs, you should take swift action, including: _____________, _____________, ____________, _____________, and _____________.
8. In a crisis situation where an employee appears to be under the influence and may be endangering himself/herself and other employees, you should contact your manager immediately and quietly remove the employee from the work area. True or False
9. List three warning signs of substance abuse that might apply to either employees with an alcohol problem or employees with a drug problem. ____________ , ____________, ____________
10. Substance abusers frequently blame others for their mistakes. True or False
1. Two of the most common signs of substance abuse are frequent tardiness and absenteeism.
2. False. Most substance abusers are employed.
3. As many as 10 percent of American workers reportedly have a substance abuse problem—and this figure is probably on the low side.
4. Your role in managing workplace substance abuse includes promoting awareness of the problem, communicating company policy concerning substance abuse, monitoring employee performance, referring abusers to professionals for assistance, and administering discipline when necessary.
5. True. Confidentiality is absolutely required.
6. Detecting substance abuse is often difficult because most abusers try to hide their problem.
7. When you suspect a substance abuse problem, you should talk to the employee privately, give the employee an opportunity to respond, alert the employee to programs within and outside the organization that can help, emphasize that the employee must meet established standards, and monitor the employee’s performance and behavior carefully.
8. True. You should get your manager or another supervisor to observe the employee, and if you both agree that the employee is under the influence and poses a danger, remove the employee quietly but immediately from the work area.
9. Substance abusers often exhibit (1) weight loss; (2) facial changes, such as poor skin tone and unhealthy color; and (3) mental slowdown in which normally sharp individuals have difficulty grasping simple facts, responding intelligently, and communicating clearly.
10. True. Substance abusers tend to rationalize their problems by blaming others for their mistakes and misfortunes.