“Pardon Me, Your Modifier is Dangling”. Directions: Choose ONE of the sentences to the right and consider the meaning of the sentence as it is written. Who or what is doing/receiving the action? Who or what is the subject? Next , copy your sentence onto a piece of construction paper.
1) The cat should be treated by a veterinarian that has worms.
2) While sweeping the floor, the stew boiled over on the stove.
3) While writing my paper, the telephone rang.
4) Covered with hot melted cheese, we ate the pizza.
5) Swinging wildly through the trees, the children were delighted by the monkeys.
6) We save the scraps of meat for the dog that had been left on our plates.
7) While smoking a pipe, my cat curled up next to me.
8) While talking on the phone, the doorbell rang.
9) Hiking the trail, the birds chirped loudly.
10) A woman passed by leading a tiny dog in a long black dress.
11) After reading the paper, the telephone rang.
12) Hopping briskly through the vegetable garden, I saw a toad.
13) Eating too much, my stomach was upset.
14) Not seeing the pothole, the skateboard went flying.
15) We saw dinosaurs on a field trip to the natural history museum.
16) Driving the old car, the brakes gave out.
17) Watching the documentary, the television went dead.
18) I found my missing baseball glove cleaning my room.
19) The smoke alarm went off while cooking my dinner.
20) A young woman knocked on the door wearing a suit and a hat.
21) Many people watched the Fourth of July fireworks in their cars.
22) We saw several monkeys on vacation in Mexico.
23) Standing on the dock, the boat didn't look safe to the sailors.
24) Reading a book, my cat crawled into my lap.
25) A tarantula bit one of the dockworkers that had a hairy, huge body.