EGR 334 Thermodynamics Chapter 5: . Lecture 20: 2 nd Law of Thermodynamics Class Discussion. Today’s main concepts:. Understand the need for and the usefulness of the 2 nd law Be able to explain what is meant by a spontaneous process.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
2nd Law of Thermodynamics
Problems from Chap 5: 3, 6, 17, 20
Points will be given for contributions to the discussion.
+ 2 points for significant input.
+ 1 point for moving conversation forward
+ 0 point for just adding filler
- 1 point for incorrect information or concepts
+ 1 bonus point for correcting another’s incorrect statement
Process for Chapter 5 Discussion:
1) A random student will be selected and given the Orb of Focus.
2) A concept from Chap 5 will be introduced.
3) Selected student will start the discussion.
4) As other students want to contribute, they will raise their hand and the current speaker will pass the Orb of Focus to one of the students who wish to speak. If there are no volunteers, the speaker may pass the Orb to a student of their choice.
5) The instructor will introduce new terms as discussion runs down.
Irreversible vs. Reversible
Spontaneous Heat Transfer
Internally Reversible Process
Max. heat pump efficiency
Max. refrigeration cycle COP