HOW TO Filter your ayp student data file Identifying your fay & Bottom 30% students
1) Download your AYP student data file • Authorized users login to the Michigan School Report Card at: • www.michigan.gov/schoolreportcard • Click on one of your district’s buildings report cards, then click the link below the building report card summary that states: • “Request Student Data for xx School” • Open the downloaded file in Microsoft Excel. Not authorized to view your district's preliminary school report card? Fill out the AYP Report Card Security Agreement form with your superintendent's authorization and return it to: MDE-Accountability@michigan.gov or fax: (517) 335-1186
2) Filter columns in ms Excel • You will need to filter the data file appropriately so that you can view the students that contribute to your school’s accountability data. Only full academic year (FAY) students count toward your school’s accountability results (AYP, Top-to-Bottom, etc.) • Turn on the filtering feature in Microsoft Excel. If you do not know how to filter in MS Excel, watch this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/zQMA9lw4EyU • Next, we will review the specific columns you will need to filter. You will need to know your district code (dcode) and building code (bcode) to filter the data appropriately. District and school codes can be found at www.mi.gov/eem
3) eNROLLMENT • Filter column T “Enrollment” for True.
4) MEAP DCODE AND BCODE FEEDER • Filter column Z “meapDCodeFeeder” to your district code. • Filter column AA “meapBCodeFeeder” to your building code.
5) Full academic YEAR (FAY) • Now we need to filter for the FAY students in your school. • Filter column AH “DistrictFAY” and column AI “SchoolFAY” to True. • These are your FAY students.
6)Filter for your Bottom 30% • Now that you have your FAY student list, you can use columns O-S in the data file to identify your bottom 30% students. • Filter the desired subject column in O-S for: • “1” to identify your top 30% students • “2” to identify your middle 40% students • “3” to Identify your bottom 30% students • These are your “x” performing students.
Check out our Bottom 30% tOOL! • The MS Excel file linked to below automatically summarizes assessment data for bottom 30% students when your AYP student data file is pasted into it. The file also includes instructions on how to use it. • https://baa.state.mi.us/ayp/Docs/ReportCardDataFileTool.xls
Questions? • Contact email@example.com • or call 877-560-8378 and choose option 6.