Sentence Structure and Clause Identification Quiz Review
1. You should memorize subordinate conjunctions and relative pronouns, and then you can easily identify clauses. 1. Youshouldmemorize subordinate conjunctions and relative pronouns, and then youcaneasily identify clauses. I.C. + I.C. = C
2. The downhill skier, who was raised in Denver, Colorado, won a gold metal at the Olympics in Sochi, Russia. 2. The downhill skier, whowas raised(in Denver, Colorado), wona gold metal (at the Olympics)( in Sochi, Russia). D.C. + I.C.= CX (adj.)
3. Before dawn in the wee hours of the morning, the hopeful Olympic athlete practiced his run in slope-style skiing. 3. (Before dawn) (in the wee hours) (of the morning), the hopeful Olympic athletepracticed his run (in slope-style skiing). I.C. = S
4. The freestyle skier jumped like a champion as he spun left and right over the mountain, yet he did not win a medal at the Olympics in Sochi. 4. The freestyle skierjumped (like a champion) as hespun left and right (over the mountain), yet hedid not win a medal (at the Olympics) (in Sochi). I.C. + D.C. + I.C. = CCX Adv.
5. Once he realized his error, the skier changed his routine, which he had been practicing for a month, and soon he regained his first place status. 5. Once herealized his error, the skierchanged his routine, which hehad been practicing(for a month), and soon heregained his first place status. D.C. + I.C. + D.C. + I.C. = CCX Adv. Adj.
11. Which of the Following does not contain an appositive phrase? • A. Superman, a comic book hero, does not have a sidekick. • B. Robin, the boy wonder, is Batman’s sidekick. • C. Spiderman, who spins a web and swings from building to building, is a freak of nature. • D. Donatello, a teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, wears a yellow mask. verbs “C” Is the correct answer because a phrase cannot contain a verb!
12. Which of the following sentences is compound-complex and contains an adjective clause? • A. Aunt Sladys, whose husband is my mother’s brother, received a degree in meteorology from Harvard in 1986. • B. Although Aunt Gladys has a degree in meteorology, she has never correctly predicted the weather, yet she confidently makes her daily precipitation and temperature predictions. • C. Most meteorologistswhoreport the weather use modern Doppler radar technology, but Aunt Gladys simply searches the skies (for her weather forecast). • D. Once the weather is predicted by Aunt Gladys, she sits by her window and waits for her prediction to come true. “C” is the correct answer because it contains a comma and FANBOYS conjunction, making it compound. The clause “who report the weather” is an adjective dependent clause which tells more about meteorologists.