Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
you can find some of our projects on or website: www.raved-designs.com here we prefer to introduce you a typical project case study: Developing of Electro Mechanical Locking System Interactive QLICfor MUL-T-LOCK (ASSA Abloy Group Company)
Client’s approach • Cause: • Mul-T-Lock “Five pin cylinder” International patent was about to expire (17 years). • The growing demand for superior locking solutions that address a wide gamut of • complex & sensitive issues. • The need for locking system infrastructure that enable permission-based access • to different locks. • Facilitating control and accumulation of the system operation
Client’s approach • Target • Developing a Locking & Security System that functions as a whole system, • specifically for organizations (but not only) where, as well as maximal security, • will enable full control of the entry authorization to the organization. • Merging the traditional micro-mechanic technology of Mul-T-Lock with micro-electronic • (and software) with a specific aim to create a multi sophisticate middle generation of • locking means, that would be able to integrate in the present infra-structure. • The stretching of the Five Pin Cylinder patent above the limited period fixed • by the law by a change based on its principles, extending past the 17 years in • which it was launched. • The Five Pin Cylinder which is well known in the market, is just a swell known to thieves who never stop trying to break it. In this continuous struggle there is an advantage in making it more difficult by adding an additional closing pin. • The conflict between the group of companies in “Assa Abloy” regarding the • development of the next generation of locking system, while each of the companies • in the group are interested in reaching the market first with “the next item”.
1. Research • Market observation • The locking systems market is considered technically a relatively stagnate market. • Even the progress that has been made in parts of it lately focused on the • interface (Biometry etc.) rather then the tight combination of the locking means • and it’s operator. • Mul-T-Lock is a well established company in the locking systems market and has • been for many years. Their acquisitions to the giant Swedish concern “Assa Abloy” • gave a push to the need to develop a system that will renew something in this market. • The locking system market is divided between two types of major consumers: • locksmiths and the home do-it-yourself market. The major mass has been and still • is the locksmiths. • The most significant overlapping between such a different target groups is the ease and simplicity of installation. To the locksmiths, since “time is money”, and to the DIY consumers due to lack of professional experience, the minimization of getting complicated.
1. Research • Client brief • Design appearance that will emphasize and reflect the system’s sophistication • and will position the Interactive QLICsystem as state of the art in its field. • Replacing the existing system by the Interactive QLICsystem will be simple • and easy and will not require any infrastructure changes. • To the 5 pins of the classic Mul-T-Lock cylinder a 6 one will be added. • The battery replacement will be done by the user; following a distinct indication to the status of the battery “Low Battery” (was later changed to replacement by a locksmith!) • The key will stand up to the full cycle of a washing machine, in case it will be • forgotten in the user’s pocket! • Following the direction to the organizational market, the design should allow • visual segmentation to groups of key owners who have different opening • authorizations.
Characterization • There will be no changes made to the existing cylinder’s shell so as to enable • easy and immediate replacement between the existing one to the Interactive QLICsystem. • The additional 6th pin will be operated by a miniature engine located in • the cylinder. • The energy origin will be located in the key itself (and not in the cylinder) which • structure will allow electricity transfer to the cylinder while inside. • The key structure will be designed so as to enable total protection to its electronic • layout from water penetration. • The key will be built around the raw metal comprising the encoding infrastructure • to the “5 pins cylinder”. • The battery will be accessible and easy to replace by a non sophisticated user • (was later changed to replacement by a locksmith!)
2. Concept Design concept visualization
2. Concept Review and design concept refinement
2. Concept Final concept
4. Detailing engineering model
4. Detailing unlock position – cylinder detail reset pin follower side bar side bar spring (x2) accentor reset pin reset pin spring cylinder body reset pin stopper
4. Detailing key contact – cylinder detail pcb “+” contact “0” contact isolated conductor contacts housing pcb pockets
4. Detailing Detail work on form and color
Appreciation iF Product Design Award Industry Buildings Category Israel Ministry of Industry, Trade & Labor Annual Design Award 2006 First Prize Equipment & Industry Category