Population Geography. WG.5, 6, 10a, 11a-c. What factors influence population distribution?. Environmental factors -- What type of natural resources are in the area? Does it have oil, or arable land or access to water? What is the climate like?
WG.5, 6, 10a, 11a-c
Spatial divisions are regions of the Earth’s surface over which groups of people establish social, economic and political control. Spatial divisions may generate conflict and/or cooperation.
Why are spatial divisions necessary at the local and regional levels?
1) Desire for government to be closer to home;
2) need to solve local problems and
3) need to administer resources more efficiently
2) Citizens may have low tolerance for different cultures;
4) Citizens and/or politicians may try to gain political advantage
1) Natural disasters
2) Economic advantages (attracts new businesses)
3) Cultural similarities—ethnic backgrounds
4) Addressing regional issues like waste management, magnet schools and transportation.