Leadership TrainingatChangchun Onnuri Fellowship28th February 2009by Bro Josphert Kimatu BSc., Mphil., PGDE., Dip(Th). Josphert@yahoo.com www.josphert.org
Who is a Leader? • The dictionary says: A person who rules, guides or inspires others. • I define a leader as: one who is lead by God to Feed, Guard and Guide the flock of God towards personal and collective equipping so that God’s work is done on earth. • Acts 1:1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, Until the day in which he was taken up…
Acts 20:18-38 • In the scripture we have an example of an old leader teaching leadership skills to new leaders. And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.
Seven Key areas of importance • There are seven key building blocks which can serve as a skeleton for fixing other leadership attributes for any one who desires to lead others to a firm foundation in Christ Jesus. I have briefly listed them below.
1. The knowledge the Word of God • Understanding the main themes of the Bible
All scripture! • 2Timothy 3:16-17 • 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Major themes • You must know the Biblical major themes especially the theme of salvation. How is somebody born again according to the Bible? The four steps are: • Repentance towards God; • Faith towards our Lord Jesus; • Baptism in water in the Name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit; • Receiving the Holy Spirit for service.
Other Themes as shown in Hebrews 6:1-2 • Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
2. The knowledge of God: who is God? How to serve Him. • Knowing God through daily and regular fellowship; with Him, other saints respectively: Through an intimate relationship with the Holy Spirit: Through a life long discipline of prayer and fasting. Walking in the light as He is in the light, • 1 John 1:7
God Fellowship Me Brethren
3. The knowledge of who is man: created tripartite. • 1 Thessalonians 5:23 • 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spiritand soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Man • See • Hear • Taste • Touch • Smell 1.Communion 2.Concience 3. Intuition • Will • Mind • Emotions Heart
4. The knowledge of spiritual maturity: Christian growth • 1 Peter 2:1-2 • Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, 2 As new born babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: HOLINESS Desire the Word
5. The knowledge of the work of Christ: The four men • Peter, James, John and Paul these men were very central to Jesus, the first three formed the inner circle of His disciples. Paul followed there work just before Acts 10 in Acts 9. • Why? • As an apostle to the Gentles.
6. The knowledge of spiritual battle (satan): dreams to visions • Eph. 6:11-12 • 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
7. The knowledge of God’s plan and purposes • You have sinned (Genesis); Come out of sin (Exodus); Be right (Leviticus); keep going ( Numbers); Never forget (Deuteronomy); Get your inheritance (Joshua); Get Me there (Judges): the rest of Old testament failed to get God there only David tried much. In the New Testament Jesus comes here so as to prepare people to be able to get God down here, the Church is to do that; in Revelation, God dwells with man forever.
Our Lord Jesus is our example in all spiritual things • How did He begin? He was sent by God, You must be born again. • How did He prepare Himself: He fasted and then ignited His prayer life. • He was baptized in the Holy Spirit. • He stayed on the Word of God. • He paid the price to accomplish God’s will: nevertheless not my will but Yours. • He needed men to accomplish His mission: men mission are interlinked, from a John the Baptist to a Paul.
Matthew 4:18-20 • And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. 19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. 20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.
Other organizational and personal attributes • As seen in the books of New Testament leaders: Timothy, Titus and Philemon • Be an example to the believers: a model, a pattern. Your judgment will be more strict. • Luke 12:47 • And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared nothimself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. • James 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. • Be sensitive to others: beat your flesh
Personal attributes • Keep records. As directed by the Lord: make tapes, write books etc. • Be followers of those who were our leaders before: • Hebrews 13:7-8 • Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
Personal attributes 5. Commitment to Teamwork -- Promotes the Christian community. 6. Passion for Discipleship -- Has a burning fire in his heart to make disciples. Go and make disciple of all nations. 7. Tithe is important although is the least along side helping the poor. Dorcas ministry
Summary • John 8:31-32 • Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Matthew 9:37-38 • 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest. • Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Tell Them! Teach Them! Train Them! Ephesians 1:3