The Word Proclaimed 2 Timothy 4:1-8; 16-18. Mary Cain. George Gipp. DISCUSSION GUIDE. 1. What is the context from which Paul provides his charge to Timothy? (2 Timothy 4:1)
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
2 Timothy 4:1-8; 16-18
1. What is the context from which Paul provides his charge to Timothy? (2 Timothy 4:1)
Paul reminds Timothy that God and Christ Jesus are observing their actions and that Christ will one day return to judge the living and the dead.
3. Paul told Timothy to “Preach the Word.” Obviously this was written before what we know as the New Testament was complete and considered scripture. To what does “the Word” refer?
4. What do you think it means to “be ready in season and out of season?”
5. Are Paul’s “final orders” just for paid church staff members or for all believers? Support your answer.
6. What do people with “itching ears” want? (2 Timothy 4:3)
They do not want to be challenged. Instead, they want to be told what they want to hear.
7. Do you see verses 3 and 4 being fulfilled today? How? What are some ways that these verses are true in your own life?
9. Paul has said to Timothy, “I have finished strong.” If we were to take inventory today what would we say of our lives? What criteria should we use in making this judgment?
10. What happened at Paul’s first defense? (2 Timothy 4:16)
Everyone deserted Paul.
11. How was Paul delivered? Why? (2 Timothy 4:17)
God was with Paul and strengthened him to share the message of Christ so that the Gentiles might hear.
12. In whom did Paul have complete confidence? (2 Timothy 4:18)
Paul was confident that the Lord would rescue him, keep him from every evil attack and transport him safely to heaven.