SBS Radio: embracing a change culture to reflect cultural change in Australia Mandi Wicks Director, Audio & Language Content September 2013
What we’ll cover • From humble beginnings to today • Why do we exist? • Facing our challenges • Change is the only constant • And the future’s looking bright
1. From humble beginnings • Back in 1975 SBS Radio was…
To today • We are Audio & Language Content (ALC) • More than 70 languages • Analogue radio AM/FM, national • Digital radio & TV • Online • Mobile apps • Social media • Events and outside broadcasts
How did we get from there to here? • ALC 2012 • Analogue radio AM/FM, national • More than 70 languages • Digital radio & TV • Online • Mobile apps • Social media • Events and outside broadcasts • SBS Radio 1975 • Analogue radio AM/FM • 15 languages
2. Why do we exist? • SBS Charter • Theprincipal function of SBS is to provide multilingual and multicultural radio and television services that inform, educate and entertain all Australians and, in doing so, reflect Australia's multicultural society.
SBS Purpose & Goals • Our purpose is to inspire all Australians to explore and appreciate our multicultural world and contribute to an inclusive society. • Our goals are to deepen Australians’ engagement with content that reflects our Charter and to grow audiences.
3. Facing our challenges • Who are our main competitors? It used to be only newspapers… …then electronic and digital media… …in language… …and just about anyone out there…
3. Facing our challenges • Better understand our audiences • Find our point of difference – what makes us distinctive? • Re-focus on the SBS Charter • Deepen engagement and grow our audiences
4. Change is the only constant • Review SBS Radio Schedule • Unique Content: Australian Information Network • One SBS: a richer experience • Be where our audiences are • Eye on the future: 2nd and 3rd generations
SBS Radio Schedule - outcomes • Reflects today’s Australia • Six new languages and all retained • 23 languages have grown • New digital channel – SBS Radio 3 • Easier navigation
Unique content - Australian Information Network • Balanced and impartial Australian and international news and information • Providing key settlement info for newer groups • Facilitating deeper analysis and discussions for more established groups Climate Change
One SBS: the SBS Census Explorer • Providing information to communities • Promotion on all platforms • SBS leadership position for Census 2011 • Distinctive content for deepening engagement and growing audiences
Being where our audiences are • Analogue radio • Digital Radio • Online • Mobile Apps • Digital TV Weibo Twitter Facebook
Eye on the future: 2nd and 3rd gen. • Exactly 2 years ago, SBS PopAsia launched as a 24 hour digital radio station, streaming online • Let’s take a look at what’s happened since then…
But wait, there’s more… • One year ago, we launched two more digital radio stations
4. Change is the only constant RECAP • Review SBS Radio • Unique Content: Australian Information Network • One SBS: a richer experience • Be where our audiences are • Eye on the future: 2nd and 3rd generations
5. And the future’s looking bright • Ave monthly unique browsers up 19% yoy • Ave monthly live streams up 50.8% yoy • SBS Your Language app downloads = 60k • SBS PopAsia app downloads = 108k • SBS PopAsiaYoutube = 2m
5. And the future’s looking bright • 4 million LOTE speakers in Australia (18%) • Increased by 40% in 10 years • 43% born overseas or one parent born overseas • More than 50% of pop. growth comes from migration
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.” “If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."
Summary • Have a clear purpose and face challenges • Be audience driven or risk being irrelevant • Embrace Technology • Change is the only constant • = Connecting with communities more than ever before
Contact Mandi Wicks Director,Audio & Language Content firstname.lastname@example.org