EU-US cooperation on eHealth. Transatlantic Health Care Provision – a concrete example Laura Raimondo Senior Vice President, UPMC. UPMC at a glance. $10 billion in revenue 20 hospitals operating over 4,200 licensed beds; 187,000 admissions per year
Transatlantic Health Care Provision – a concrete example
Senior Vice President, UPMC
NIH funding comparisons include affiliated hospitals/research institutes
Based on FY 08 preliminary data
Our locations are world-wide and world-class.
UPMC and University of Pittsburgh world-wide locations.
MANAGEMENT ACTIVITIES• ISMETT - Mediterranean Institute for Transplantation and High Specialization Therapies – is a 78-bed facility located in Palermo, Sicily. Managed and operated by UPMC from the very beginning, ISMETT is one of the leading organ transplant centers in Europe. ISMETT’s new infrastructure was opened in March 2004: 130,000 square feet over five levels, 14 ICU, 7 OR’s + Radiology (CT, MRI, Nuclear Medicine), Endoscopy, Interventional cardiology, Pathology, Laboratory.
• Ri.MED Foundation – Based on UPMC’s success in managing ISMETT, the Italian Government has selected UPMC to be the qualified technical partner of the Foundation. The primary goals of the foundation are to enhance scientific culture with special reference to the role of biotechnology, to train scientific, technical and administrative staff with specific skills in biotechnology, and to create the Biomedical Research and Biotechnology Center (BRBC) in Carini, near Palermo.UPMC Italy will implement and manage the BRBC to be established in 2016.
• UPMC San Pietro FBF - The UPMC Center will offer cancer patients stereotactic radiosurgery, a radiation treatment that uses advanced treatment planning and sophisticated imaging technology to deliver precisely focused radiation to treat tumors and other abnormal masses or disorders. The UPMC Center will host the TrueBeam technology and will be the only one providing such an advanced technology in Central Italy, one of the few in the whole country.
TRAINING ACTIVITIES • Simulation Center Renato Fiandaca - The center is hosted at ISMETT in cooperation with UPMC’s Peter M. Winter Institute for Simulation, Education and Research (WISER). The mission of the Center is to train health care providers, improve quality of care, reduce medical errors, and increase safety standards.
RESEARCH PROJECTS UPMC Italy conducts and funds various projects in translational research, technological development and training in biotechnology and regenerative medicine.
- Transplantation of human fetal liver cells for the treatment of chronic liver disease in patients on the waiting list for liver transplantation;- fetal skin progenitor cell transplantation for the treatment of acute and chronic skin lesions;
(Capital & Operating in millions)
£ 800 million ($ 1.3 billion US)
Center for Connected Medicine
Technology Development Center
16 Service Lines
UPMC – ISMETT
Project Starting: 1999
Tele pathology was vital to :
with 1 Pathologist
Since 1999 ISMETT, with 70 beds (78 from 2011) of which 14 ICU beds, has performed 1250 (April 2012) transplantations with among the best European survival rates
A few significant fields of a hystological, cytological or bio technical sample are photographed and sent to a consultant as an attachment in an e-mail message – or via FTP technology
Through appropriate motorized microscopes the remote control of the movement of the instrument is carried out and simultaneously the microscope’s images are recorded by a camera and sent out. At the same time the case can be discussed in video conference between pathologists
Automatic execution of numerous photos with appropriate enlargement, which are put side by side until they cover the entire surface of the glass slide.
All of the information on the glass slide is then transferred onto a file easily archived , catalogued and duplicated for consultation and/or quality control.
GE and UPMC new company
to digitize pathology
Transplant Surgery at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh:
Tele-ICU started in November 2010 and was fully implemented in February 2011. It is mainly used in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for post-surgical liver transplant cases in pediatric patients;
Allpatientsresiding in Sicily, whoconsecutivelyunderwent a livertransplant at ISMETT and weredischargedstarting the 15th ofJuly 2011 through the 31th of March 2012
(TOT. 30 patients)
MainFunctionsof the Device
OUR GOAL IN PERSPECTIVE: TELE-Stroke program in Sicily
1. Home monitoring for post surgical lung translanted patients and LVAD patients with Ismett-UPMC connection
2. Tele-ICU program with ISMETT as HUB and 7 Sicilian hospital satellites to support ICU management of organ collection
Schwamm et al. Stroke 2009
For more information