Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Poly-X Dr. James Liu N. K. June, 2010 An intelligent system for e-Learningand Teaching Department of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
AGENDA • PROJECT DESCRIPTION • PROJECT OBJECTIVES • PROJECT DELIVERABLE/S • TEACHING & LEARNING BENEFITS • SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT IN PROGRESS • PRELIMINARY EVALUATION • DEMO • FURTHER WORK • SYSTEM LIMITATION • DIFFICULTIES TO ADDRESS • CHALLENGING WORK TO DO NEXT • Q&A
1. PROJECT DESCRIPTION Nowadays, with the advance of technology, E-Learning is a hot topic in society. E-Learning becomes a new trend of learning model. It combines the conductive learning model and independent learning model together. The primary purpose of this study is to develop an intelligent system for E-learning and tutoring that can provide a platform for teachers and students to teach and learn effectively and efficiently. This study presents an intelligent approach for implementing the web-based E-Learning and tutoring system. The system is integrated with different modules. One of them is the intelligent quiz module which is used for the assessment of students. The module can automate the quiz generation process by obtaining questions from database. The video conferencing module is also one of the modules in the e-Learning system which provides an interactive communication channel for teachers and students, group project discussion and presentation.
2. PROJECT OBJECTIVES • One of the stated goals for Poly-X is to facilitate common share of the learning materials created in the system. Students may not often need to come to school for class, instead to study through e-learning by just login to the Poly-X website. Every authorized user can use this system without much geographical and time limitation through Internet. • On the other hand, teachers can have access to information collected by the system about their students’ studying behavior , e.g. how often they login in the system, which subject they are more interested in, how long they study each time, etc. So that teachers may modulate the teaching according to the statistical data collected from students.
2. PROJECT OBJECTIVES Con’t • After the student has completed the quiz, the system will use some algorithm to classify and update the standard level of student during the course of learning. The level will be used to customize the learning contents for the student due to one’s capacity. With this method, online courses, which seem more interesting and easier for students to get access to, will attract students much more than the traditional courses. • Furthermore, in order to attract student, students’ learning mode now not only comprises of learning through content reading, but also via multimedia elements and features. Poly X uses a video conference environment to emulate face-to-face communication and open document sharing.
3. PROJECT DELIVERABLE/S An integrated system including: • an interface with build-in features and assessment matrices for outcomes • e-Learning modules including • personalization and preference features • interactive communication and presentation • adaptive learning control • demos • case studies • hands-on simulation and exercises • system documentation & user guide
4. TEACHING & LEARNING BENEFITS • Purpose • Use computer for generating question and calculating marks, which is fair and accurate • Efficient • Update of learning materials on web is fast • Effective • Quiz result can be released immediately after the students have finished the quiz • Interactive • Student/teacher interaction by using video conference and presentation system • Independent • Students learn independently and have their own learning profile
5.1 HOW WE DO - USER ROLES Administrator Teacher Teaching Assistant Student
5.2 HOW WE DO - FUNCTIONS • Login and Logoff functions • Upload and organize materials • Set system permission • Add faculty, department and subject • Quiz generation • Quiz result analysis • Quiz statistics • BBS • Discussion platform • E-mail function • Visual conference • Set the study rule/quiz rule/level rule • Record learning behavior
5.3 HOW WE DO - SYSTEM MODULES • User Management Module • Subject Management Module • Resource Management Module • Learning Behavior Module • Rules Module • Statistical & Analysis Module
5.4 PHYSICAL ARCHITECTURE The Physical Architecture of Poly-X is shown in Figure 1 and there are different kinds of servers for different purposes. When the users use the system, they will be connected to the server through the Internet. Figure 1: Physical architecture of Poly-X
5.5 WHAT DOES POLY-X FOCUS ON? For the present study, we will focus on the Interactive Content, the Intelligent Quiz system, the Video Conference system and the Instant Chatting tool that is embedded into the Video Conference system. Poly-X is divided into different parts (see Figure 2): • Subject Content – for studying • Intelligent Quiz System • Presentation System – for teaching, sharing and presentation • Video Conferencing System – for teaching, sharing and presentation • Discussion System Figure 2: Overview of E-learning System
5.5.1 INTERACTIVE CONTENT In order to engage students and enhance the learning process, interactive course contents are presented for students. The content will not be the same as typical physical book that normally contains too much text. Instead, the content will be represented by concepts, short notes, videos, demos, sources, animations, graphics and case studies. These will be easy to read and increase the interest of students.
5.5.2 INTELLIGENT QUIZ Once a student needs to take quiz, the system will compile the questions from the test bank. Therefore the questions are tailored to suit different students with different standards. For every quiz, the standard level of student will be used as reference. For every question, a level of difficulty has been set. For chapter quiz, the system will select a part of the questions in the beginning according to the given quiz level. Then the system will collect the answers from the students and select another part of questions according to the result of the first part. This method allows the adjustment of the level of questions to be selected for students with different capabilities. The result of the quiz forms part of the criteria for assessing the knowledge level of the student, thereby for the system to make corresponding guidance through the learning process.
5.5.2 INTELLIGENT QUIZ Con’t The intelligent quiz system is used to access the standard level of student. In the beginning, students can attempt the quiz to determine their level. In each chapter, there are quizzes in between which used as check points to help student to understand the concepts in the chapters. After each chapter, there is a quiz to assess the students’ understanding to the chapter. The result will affect the level update of students. The quiz is a form of assessment in which the student will be presented with Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each question will have a number of different responses and mostly it has only one correct answer. The other choices are wrong and set as distracters to students.
5.5.2 INTELLIGENT QUIZ Con’t In the system, there will be a quiz database which stores all the details of MCQs including the questions, options, correct answers, difficulties, keywords and tips. The difficulties of MCQs are divided into 3 different levels (1-easy, 2-normal and 3-difficult). The difficulties and keywords are determined by domain experts. There are also other details which will be used for further statistical analysis. The MCQs which stored in the database will be used to generate quizzes. One of the major methods is to obtain questions throughout the quiz according to the result of the students during the quiz. It will make use of students’ profiles. Figure 3 shows the flow of how the system works when a student triggers the system to generate a quiz.
5.5.2 INTELLIGENT QUIZ Con’t Figure 3 Flow graph of the quiz generation process
5.5.3 VIDEO CONFERENCE In order to provide a channel for the communication between teachers and students, Poly-X has a built-in function to provide the real time video conference for them. The user only needs to use the web cam and thus can have a meeting or even a small tutorial lesson in their own places.
5.5.3 VIDEO CONFERENCE Con’t • Usage • Small Class tutorial • Project/Assignment Presentation • Group Discussion • Functions • Presentation file format • PPTx, PPT, Docx, Doc, txt, PDF • White Board • Admin control • Instant chatting • Face-to-face meeting
5.5.3 VIDEO CONFERENCE Con’t Figure 4 shows the client-server architecture with Adobe Flash Media Server. The web server delivers the client’s request over HTTP connection, and then the clients will create a socket connection to Adobe Flash Media Server over RTMP connection. This connection allows streaming of data between the server and client in real time. Figure 4: The client-server architecture with Flash Media Server
7. DEMO Link: http://22.214.171.124
8. FURTHER WORK • Delivery subject contents by domain ontology • Web-based and/or blended subject delivery • Intelligent Learning Path generation • Course calendar in a TODO list style • Planning tools to identify gaps of study in students • Improve data analysis functions • Generate reports • Assessment before and after quiz • Improve management functions • Users, roles, notifications • Facilitate system integration with the new eLearning platform.
8.1 SYSTEM LIMITATION • Limitation for Intelligent Quiz system • The multiple choice questions in the intelligent quiz system need to be prepared before entering to the database. For example, we need to convert the symbol and image to html code. We also need domain expert to tag the question keywords and levels. It takes a long time for collection, analysis and preparation. • Limitation of Video Conferencing system • Subject to the limitation of bandwidth and space of a web page, it can only support the video conferencing in each room with up to 6 participants.
8.2 DIFFICULTIES TO ADDRESS • Course contents • Need to collect a large number of contents in “fun”, “interactive”, “visualization”, “portable”, etc. • Construct the relationship between them and quantify with the correlation measure. • Need to determine how to rationalise the existing contents and / or re-purpose or re-use these for delivery to the students. • Quiz collection / construct • Need to collect a large number of quiz questions in different areas of a subject and organize them.
8.3 CHALLENGING WORK TO DO NEXT • The potential system integration with the future eLearning platform (i.e. Moodle) • The integration with other popular tools for collaboration and communication • Wiki, Twitter, Answers, ZOTERO, Evernote, Del.icio.us, RSS (Blogs) , etc • The resources need to get software engineer to implement the remaining tasks, etc
8.3 CHALLENGING WORK TO DO NEXT Con’t • In Poly-X, we aim to simplify all the designs, work flows, functions and actions, to make the system more user-friendly. • However, the project development is more complicated than we initially thought. • In general, we often face the situation of information overkill and/or usability reduction. Therefore, we do need to consider some tradeoff and find the right balance to create usable, elegant and clean system modules with simple layouts. We should keep everything simple, add function one by one when we really want to use it or must have it.
9. Q&A ? With the Poly-X, we expect students can experience a different form of learning and teachers can experience a different form of teaching. In today’s world, information is rich. Complimenting with the use of the e-Learning system, we hope students can achieve self-direct learning and start adopts the new learning style for life-long learning. Q&A
http://126.96.36.199 Poly-X endeavors to give you new ways to express ideas in teaching & learning process