Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Imperialism Social Studies 9
Last unit • We learned about the Industrial Revolution and Progressive groups. • Show me what you know!
Do now: • Answer the following question in your notebook: • 1. List three ways that the Industrial Revolution changed the world. (Think about changes in production, and how peoples’ lives changed) • 2. Was the Industrial Revolution good or bad?
How did the Industrial Revolution change the way people thought about the world they lived in? • New ideas about power and money • Big business= more money and power and TRADE! http://careerhub.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/10/money.jpg
Goals for today: Guiding Questions • By the end of the day we want to answer the following questions: • Why might Europeans want to rule Africa? • How might European rule have affected the people in African colonies?
I. The Grass is always Greener • People who have power always want more • Countries want to be powerful http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rha/lowres/rhan1086l.jpg
A. Who had power? • Countries with the ability to produce a lot. • Which countries do you think could produce a lot after the Industrial Revolution? (BEFORE America was a big power)
1. Europeans! http://www.transitionsabroad.com/images/maps/europe_abroad.jpg
B. How did Europeans want to get more power? • Get more land and resources! • IMPERIALISM: when powerful countries try to get control of foreign lands. http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/002-0725213018-Imperialism.jpg
1. Why would taking land help European countries? • A. Businesses:could use the raw materials from other countries to produce stuff to sell at home and overseas. http://www.velux.com/VELUXCommon/Resources/cache/69ee5247-f669-4367-b6bd-9e2157dc3455_Raw_materials.jpg
Why would taking land help European countries? (cont.) • B. Power and Glory: Taking more land and building up a country gives people pride and confidence in the power of their country: nationalism http://web.library.emory.edu/subjects/humanities/history/Nationalism/Nationalism.jpg
C. Where did they want to get land from? • 1. Africa • 2. Asia http://www.transitionsabroad.com/images/maps/asia_map.jpg
1.Today we will focus on Africa http://bbsnews.net/bbsn_photos/topics/Maps-and-Charts/africa_pol_2003.jpg
A. Who tried to colonize part of Africa? • Colonize: to set up a government or civilization in a foreign land • 1.France • 2.Italy • 3.Great Britain • 4.Germany • 5.Portugal • 6.Belgium • 7.Spain http://www.sheboyganfalls.k12.wi.us/staff/kwwodach/slave_line.jpg
1. France and Great Britain • A. France in North Africa • i. French took over land along the Mediterranian coast. Why do you think they could do this easily? http://www.simnia.com/film/potc2/mediterranean_map.gif
1. France and Great Britain • ii. French built the Seuz Canal to link the Mediterranian Sea to the Red Sea • Why do you think they would do this? http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41910000/gif/_41910888_strategic_import_map416.gif
1. France and Great Britain • France had the largest empire in Africa in the mid-1800s. http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/imperialism/maps/french1914.jpg
B. Britain in Africa • i. Bought the suez canal in 1875
-Why did they want the canal • It made sailing from Europe to India much faster Before http://www.worldbook.com/wb/images/content_spotlight/explorers/LR004302.gif
ii. Egypt • In 1914 Britian declared Egypt a protectorate: that means that Britain had total control over Egypt and they protected it. http://www.iho-ohi.org/wp-content/egypt-giza-sphinx.jpg
iii.In the South of Africa • -British took over Sudan • -and an island in the south called: Zanzibar – key trading post http://www.welt-atlas.de/datenbank/karten/karte-0-9009.gif http://www.maryknollafrica.org/images/SuMap.gif
2. Scramble for Africa http://wfps.k12.mt.us/teachers/carmichaelg/new_pa1.jpg
Europeans raced to set up colonies all over Africa • A. Problems: • 1. There were already borders in Africa based on different tribes or ethnic groups! http://www.lgblog.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/natural-fashion.jpg
-Europeans made NEW borders • - Without considering the borders that already existed. • -Groups that spoke different languages and customs were now in the same colonies. http://www.discoverhaiti.com/images/bois_caiman.jpg
Another problem for Africans • 2. Imperialist rulers were mean to Africans! http://www.internationalist.org/maumaurebels.jpg
3. Results • i. Some African groups fought Imperialists. • Example: Zulu tribe in the South fought the Dutch. http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/images/zulu-army-on-the-attack-zulu.jpg
Results • - ii. But eventually the Zulus were defeated by the British who took over South Africa and gained control over resources like gold and silver. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/97/Zulu_film_poster.jpg/200px-Zulu_film_poster.jpg
4. Effects of Imperialism in Africa • A. Some Europeans said it was good. • i. Why? -Ended the slave trade • - ii. Imperialists helped build big roads • iii. Built cities • iv. Built railroads • v. brought new medicine • vi. Opened schools
Advancement of society http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Colonies_of_the_second_French_colonial_empire2.jpg/315px-Colonies_of_the_second_French_colonial_empire2.jpg
B. Many Africans said Imperialism was bad • i. Why? – Europeans mean to Africans • ii. Villages and families broken apart • iii. Lands and natural resources were stolen! • iv. Europeans wanted Africans to change their way of life but Africans wanted to be true to their own traditions. CONFLICT!
Is Imperialism justified? • You tube clip: • As you watch, think about what you already know about Imperialism and be prepared to answer in detail with specific examples from what you have learned the following question: • Is imperialism justified?