History Lesson What was Unique about this Bargain? Late “fix” by the Legislature. Very confusing, contradictory and inequitable “fix” across the state. Need to create a salary schedule
What financial factors impacted our bargain? • Levy Swap • Regionalization • Staff Mix • District Ending Fund Balance
Interest-based Bargaining • OEA and OSD agreed that competitive compensation was a shared goal. • OEA, OSD and WEA were at table together for a budget analysis and were all in general agreement about the state of district resources. • OSD did not bring in an outside agent to bargain for them.
Bargaining Parameters • A tight focus during bargaining on compensation which keeps us competitive and relevant. • We wanted to maintain current programs and not see large cuts to programs (ability to be able to buy things, transportation, etc.). • Whatever gains we made, it would not require extra work.
WEA State-Wide Bargaining Goal • One year, 15% increase in total compensation • Where does the money come from? • Regionalization • Levy Swap • Staff mix change to average salary • Ending fund balance • Recent settlements (Lake Washington, Mossyrock, Walla Walla)
OEA Bargaining Goal • To get as close to 15% as possible (and consider a 2 year contract). • Where does the money come from? • Regionalization - NO • Levy Swap - NO (in fact a loss of revenue) • Staff mix changed to average salary – NO • Ending Fund Balance – YES (but very little to work with) • 4% increase from state to help with staff mix in 19-20 - YES • Creative use of current and new resources - YES
Total Two Year Compensation Increase • 12.35 to 13.93% depending on years of experience.
Total Compensation(Base, optional days, staff development, technology affidavit (new) and experience days)
Compensation Overview • First year: • A 7% increase across the board. Those on step 16 receive an additional 1.5% for a total of 8.5% • Why is step 16 getting an additional 1.5%? • It is one-half our membership • There has been no meaningful pay increase for those on step 16 for 7 of the past 8 years • They have lost money due to inflation • All members will benefit when they reach step 16
Second year: • A 5% increase across the board for everyone. • Two year total gains: • Steps 0 – 15 will see a two year gain of 12.4% • Step 16 will see a two year gain of 13.9% In addition, we have an opener in the second year to bargain compensation if the legislature allocates additional money for salaries.
New Base Salary Model • The new base salary model will be a combination of the old SAM (State Allocation Model) and the 26 optional days that were locally bargained. • The new base salary will be used to calculate a your daily rate of pay (per diem) by dividing your base salary by 180 (days). • 17-18 per diem at Step 16 MA/90: $63.74 • 19-20 per diem at Step 16 MA/90: $79.76
Conversions • In order to gain the largest pay increase for ALL members, we converted some contract provisions to pay increases. • Overload: • Secondary level: Reduced overload from $17.50 to $15. There is no change in how overload is calculated. • Elementary level: Para-educator hours can be claimed starting with the second student in overload, the first student is still eligible for the $145 compensation. • Overload rate at the elementary level is $145, not the long-term sub rate.
Conversions • Extra curricular contracts (stipends): • Only for the OEA contract, not the coaching contract • Not tied to the first cell any more. There is a 3.1% increase this year and a 1.9% increase next year. • Curriculum Rate: Not tied to the first cell any more. There is a 3.1% increase this year and a 1.9 increase next year. • Visitation Funds: • Everyone will receive one visitation day per year and there will be no carry-over.
New Compensation Category • Technology/Safety work hours • This is compensation for learning and work you already do with and around technology. • It is not new work. • You will sign an affidavit at the end of the year to indicate that you worked 28 hours in year one and 30 hours in year two. This will be much like the one you signed for optional days in the past.
New Contract Language for Members Who have Not Been Represented in the Contract • Instructional Specialists • Caseload language for Vision and Hearing specialists and for EL teachers • Workload language for members who do not have a set caseload or class list
Other changes • Language on Association release time to reflect current practice • Language to give salary schedule placement for ESA staff in order to help reduce the use of independent contractors. • Other language changes to reflect changes in state law.