Science Fiction Literature Circle. INFORMATION ABOUT LIT CIRCLES. 1.Students choose their own reading materials 2. Small temporary groups are formed, based upon book choice 3. Different groups read different books 4. Roles are assigned and will switch daily or every other day.
As the Vocabulary Enricher, it is your job to look for especially important vocabulary words within the book your group is reading. Words chosen should be:
*Used in an unusual way*Interesting*
How does the word fit in the story? How does this word make you feel? What is the etymology of this word? What images does this word evoke? Does this word carry any specific connotations?
The Checker checks for completion of assignments, evaluates participation, and helps monitor discussion for equal participation.
+ given for other contributions and cooperative behaviors
- given for interrupting, distracting, goofing off
Evaluation of Our Group
The Literary Luminary locates 3-4 sections of text to share with the group and states the reasons for choosing the selections.
Possible reasons for picking a passage to be shared aloud
As the Connector, it is your job to find connections between the novel your group is reading and the outside world. This means connecting the reading to:
As the character captain, it is your job to share observations you have about the main character(s). Select three adjectives that describe one or more of the characters in your novel, and support your selection with an example taken from your reading assignment.
As the Artistic Adventurer it is your responsibility for sharing an artistic representation of the material you read for today’s Literature Circle. Some ideas for sharing may include: a character, the setting, a problem, an exciting part, a surprise, a prediction, or anything else.
Examples of genres for expressions may include:
Read daily- decide as a group how much you will read every day
Turn in a self-reflection sheet after you have finished a role
Complete necessary assignments within your role
Figure out what role you will be taking next
1. Did I understand what my role was in the group?
2. Did I complete my task to the best of my ability?
3. Did I have my turn speaking?
4. Did I let others have a turn at speaking?
5. Did I listen while others were speaking?
6. Did I offer to help when it was needed?
7. Did I enjoy taking part in the group work?
8. Did I enjoy working with the others in my group
9. What are 3 things that you enjoyed about your role in your group?
10. What is something that you want to do differently next time?