Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Psychology 181 Dr. Anagnostaras Drugs and Behavior Winter 2011 UCSD. Website username and password is “marijuana”. http://mocolab.org/Courses/Psyc181.html. Psychology 181: Drugs & Behavior. Instructor: Stephan Anagnostaras Office: 5113 McGill Hall Mon 3:00 – 4:00 pm or by appt
Website username and
password is “marijuana”
Office:5113 McGill Hall
Mon 3:00 – 4:00 pm or by appt
ALL Course email: email@example.com
Stephanie “Carmacker” Carmack
Office hours: 4-6 Wedneday, Mandler Hall 2503
Mike “The Claffeinator” Claffey
Office hours: 3-4 Wednesday, McGill Hall, 3322
Optional Text:Psychopharmacology: Drugs, the Brain and Behavior by Meyer & Quenzer, 2004
Reading assignments are by
chapter on the syllabus
Amazon link on Website
• Highly interdisciplinary field
• behavioral neuroscience
• abnormal psychology and psychiatry
• Most prescription drugs are psychotherapeutics
• Big money and politics involved
• Focus on history and social context
• Lines between addictive drugs and prescribed drugs often vague
Introductory Biopsychology or Neuroscience and an interest in biological explanations of brain-behavior relationsIntroductory Biology and/or Chemistry helpful, not required
Available on our webpage
Print Powerpoint files (3 slides/page)
and bring notes to lecture or use the
Grades and announcements will be on the course blog page
Follow reading assignments on syllabus as an adjunct to lecture
You will be tested only on Lectures
The optional book is a study aid only
• In all likelihood, exams will be on-line on WebCT
• You will skip class and have 36 hours to complete a 1 hour exam (the whole week for the final)
• Contingent on the TAs and I figuring it out
Jan 24, Midterm 1, 40 multiple choice noncumulative
Feb 11, Midterm 2, 40 multiple choice noncumulative
Feb 28, Midterm 3, 40 multiple choice noncumulative
March 14, 3:00 – 5:59 pm, Final Exam, 80 points – 30 noncumulative, and 25 cumulative worth 2 points each
Sample questions and review sheets will be on the website
Up to 3 experiments for 2 points each.
(2) Major project
Must earn A– or better on Exam 1.
Groups of up to 3
Produce a video (15 min) or survey.
Present for 15 min on the last day of class.
Must be approved by instructor.
Worth up to a full letter grade.
1. History and Introduction to Psychopharmacology
2. Introduction to Synaptic Transmission
3. Neuropsychopharmacology of Selected Drugs and Therapeutic Strategies for Selected Disorders
4. Theories of Addiction
Come up and see me