Illegal Immigration. Background. Currently, an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in US About 7 million from Mexico Concentrated in California, Texas, Florida, NY, New Jersey, & Arizona Foreign-born Americans will exceed 15% of population by 2025 (highest ever ).
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Background • Currently, an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in US • About 7 million from Mexico • Concentrated in California, Texas, Florida, NY, New Jersey, & Arizona • Foreign-born Americans will exceed 15% of population by 2025 (highest ever)
What are the Key Issues? • Border Security • Businesses who hire illegals/Jobs • Tax dollars • “Mixed” families • How will they vote?
1. Border Security • Are we really worried about illegal immigrants crossing the border? • Key issue with border security revolves around terrorism
2. Businesses who hire illegals/Jobs • Americans - immigrants are a threat to their jobs & wage levels (unemployment at 7.4%) • Also a drain on services – schools, police, health care • Businesses – immigrants take jobs Americans no longer want • What should the penalty be (if any) for businesses who hire illegals?
3. Tax Dollars • Illegals do not pay taxes; in many cases their children (if born in US) still take advantage of federal programs, i.e. schools • If family stays in Mexico (for example), US dollars go back to Mexico, hurting our economy
4. “Mixed” Families • Parents enter the US illegally, but children, born in the US, are citizens – Anchor Babies • What do we do with them? • Deport entire family? • Deport just the parents & put kid(s) in foster care? • Let the parents stay with children? • Estimated 1 million children enter US illegally but have grown up with American customs for years • What do we do with them?
5. How will they vote? • Hispanics are now largest minority group • How they will vote is the biggest roadblock to getting federal legislation passed • Most Hispanics would typically vote… • Democrat
What has been suggested??? • Enforce laws and deport all illegal immigrants • Blanket Amnesty – all illegals become citizens • Earned Citizenship – a new program that requires illegals already in US to receive citizenship by meeting certain criteria within a certain timeframe • All politicians typically favor increasing border security…some have even suggested building a wall/fence
Earned Citizenship/Immigration proposals… • Typically include some/all of the following: • Illegals must pay back taxes they owe • Pass criminal background check • Learn English • Pass citizenship test • Increase penalties for businesses who hire illegals • Increase border security • New temporary worker program (allow migrants to work in US for limited time)
Arizona Law • Police have broad power to arrest anyone they think may be in US illegally • Crime for all noncitizens not to carry immigration papers
Two Views of the AZ Law • Needed for Border Security & crime • Racial Profiling