a shared vision at risk 2012 n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
A Shared Vision at Risk 2012 PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
A Shared Vision at Risk 2012

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 10
brielle-schmidt

A Shared Vision at Risk 2012 - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

89 Views
Download Presentation
A Shared Vision at Risk 2012
An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. A Shared Vision at Risk 2012 Making higher education a priority in the state of Washington

  2. The UW’s Legacy of Accessible and Affordable Education • UW opened in 1861 with 20 students, one faculty member and one building. • Today UW serves nearly 100,000 students throughout the state: • 37,000 undergraduates • 14,000 graduate and professional students • 47,000 through Professional and Continuing Education

  3. The UW is Continuing its Legacy of Accessible and Affordable Education • 80% of all undergraduates are Washington residents. • 30% of all undergraduates are first in their family to attend college.

  4. What Happened to the “Public” inPublic Higher Education? • In the past three years, the UW’s state funding has been cut 50 percent — over $200 million.

  5. What Happened to the “Public” inPublic Higher Education? • In 1990, the state provided nearly 80 percent of the funds to educate UW students, and students funded the remaining 20 percent through tuition and fees. • Today, the state funds only about 30 percent of the cost and UW students fund 70 percent. • Costs at the UW aren’t going up—the cost of educating a student at the UW has remained constant for the last 20 years.

  6. 20 Years of Decreasing State Funding Has Led to an Increased Reliance on Tuition

  7. The UW Still Provides a Quality Education at an Affordable Cost

  8. The UW Reduces Costs Through Efficiency • About 150 campus units are increasing their efficiency through the Lean philosophy, which is based on empowering staff to find ways to eliminate redundancy and waste. • $30 million saved to date. • UW Information Technology is saving more than $3 million annually through: • New software agreements • Utilizing “the cloud” • Strategic purchasing of hardware

  9. Tuition Increases Allowed the UW to: • Significantly increase financial aid by 45%. • Keep Husky Promise alive: In 2011, about 8,500 students covered under Husky Promise – about 25%. • Provide 45% more financial aid for low- and middle-income students. • Reinvest in writing and learning centers and high-demand courses. • Maintain access for undergraduate resident students (currently at 80%).

  10. What’s Next? The State of Washington must make higher education a real priority in the next state budget. • Prioritize current investments in education. • Invest in students, not bureaucracy. • Provide the UW with more operational flexibility to better serve our students. • Relieve the UW from certain regulatory burdens involving investments, personnel, procurement and public works to increase our efficiency in running the University’s business.