Promotion of Electric Vehicles in Korea Speaker : Yeol-San SEONG Economy : Republic of Korea
Contents Overview of Electric Vehicle Status of EV Promotion of EV 1 2 3
1. Overview of EV :Background Air Pollution Global Warming Fossil Fuel Greenhouse Gas Depletion HC, CO, NO Regulations Alternative Fuel Fuel Efficiency Strategic Alliance New Power train - electric - hybrid Mandatory sale of low emission vehicles - CARB - EURO 100km / 3 liter • Small cars - Light cars GM+Toyota Ford+Benz EV (Battery or Fuel Cell) Hybrid Vehicles
’40 FCV Sale : 80M Share : 90% ’20 Hybrid Sale : 50M Share : 58% World Sales Sale (thousand) I C U Hybrid Fuel Cell Decline Mature re Introduce Gr ow Hybrid Grow Mature Introduce Fuel Cell 1. Overview of EV :Technology Trends Source : Automotive World Car Industry Forecast Report, Global Insight, 2004 The Hydrogen Economy: Opportunities, Costs, Barriers, and R&D Needs, The National Academies, 2004
2. Status of EV : Foreign EV • Toyota, Mitsubishi, GM, Nissan, Daimler are developing EV • Mid-to-large Vehicles are a plug-in hybrid type, small vehicle are a pure EV • New venture company, like Tesla Motors, to make EV Norwegian Think making NEV will enter the EV market • EV will be introduced from end of 2009 • Existing major makers will not play a dominant role, • rather than small or venture makers will supply EV to specific purposes, • special needs in their countries
2. Status of EV : Foreign EV <England & France> <Japan> • England : G-Wiz 700 units • 80km/h, 77km • 8,000 pounds • France: La Poste • - Micro-Vett/ Newteon, Venturi Automobiles • - 12 units • Mitsubishi launches I-MiEV in 2009 • (130km/h, 160km) • Nissan & Toyota introduce EV in 2010. • POST OFFICE announced replacement of • delivery vehicles to EV. (about 21,000 • units]
2. Status of EV : Foreign EV <Germany> <USA> • Mercedes announced launch of • Electric Smart Cars in 2010. • BMW will introduce electric Mini in • USA • CA, NJ : zero emission vehicles sale • GM , Ford, Chrysler announced launch of EV • GM : PHEV Volt in 2010.
2. Status of EV : Foreign EV • USFMVSS 500 began to regulate Neighborhood EV in 1998• Max. speed : 25 mile/h (40 km/h) - Golf Cart : 25km / h• Minimum device : Seat Belts, Head Lamps, Side Mirrors, Turn Signal Lamp Golf Cart: Maxer Bombardier NEV
2. Status of EV : In London •38 charging station in London • 3 hours to charge(home : 7 hrs) • No quick charge • Application Fee : 17 pounds, deposit 50 pounds • Benefit in London - No congestion charge(8 pounds) - Free residential parking(200 pounds) - Free roadside parking, discounted parking fee, etc.
3. Promotion of EV: Legal System • Registration • Vehicle Category • Ministerial Ordinance: Oct. 2008 • Safety Regulations • electricity leak, shock in high voltage source • fire, explosion in battery • KMVSS: Jan. 2009 • Pilot Project • Study on construction of charging infrastructure : in progress
3. Promotion of EV: Incentives • 「EFV Act」: for Hybrid car • 1st Phase[pilot operation] : about $20,000/vehicle [Central Gov100%) • 2nd Phase(small vol. production) : about $10,000/vehicle [Central Gov100%) • 3rd Phase(mass production) : tax incentives ※ 1US$ ≒ 1,300won
3. Promotion of EV: Charging Infrastructure • □ Locations • public Institutes, Public Parking lot, apartment complex, • shopping centers, rest area in highway • □ Charging system • ㅇ Normal Charge • Integral type • Household electricity • Charging Hour :4 ~ 6 hrs • ㅇ Quick charge • Electricity380V AC 3 phase • Charging Hour :within 1 hr • - Improve up to 30 min • price: about $8,000 • (Quick Charge Model )