county farm n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
County Farm PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
County Farm

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 20

County Farm - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 113 Views
  • Uploaded on

County Farm. North. Site History. 1917 The county farm site, located on North Liberty Street, included a poorhouse where needy people could live and work if they were physically able . The first county-operated tuberculosis hospital ($10,000) in North Carolina at the county farm .

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'County Farm' - armand


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
site history
Site History
  • 1917
    • The county farm site, located on North Liberty Street, included a poorhouse where needy people could live and work if they were physically able.
    • The first county-operated tuberculosis hospital ($10,000) in North Carolina at the county farm.
    • Reports from 1919 stated that the tuberculosis hospital was full at all times.
site history1
Site History
  • 1927
    • September
      • County Commissioners purchased approximately 700 acres of land from over twenty private property holders for County Home purposes. The site was located off Rural Hall Road/Highway No. 66.
  • 1927
    • December
      • The County Commissioners selected the site for the New (second) Tuberculosis Hospital/Sanitarium.
site history2
Site History
  • 1928
    • The County commissioned the architecture firm of Northup and O’ Brien to draw plans for the second tuberculosis hospital ($250,000) to be built on Shattalon Drive’s north Side near Rural Hall Road.
  • 1930
    • The Tuberculosis Hospital began serving white patients and accommodating 148 adults and 24 children. The children were housed in a separate building and attended school on site.
  • 1931
    • African American patients remained at the North Liberty Street location until October 1931, when the Shattalon Drive children’s ward was repurposed for their care.
  • 1939
    • A bequest from the Bowman Gray Jr. Family provided for the construction of a larger building for African American patients’ treatment at the new hospital campus.
historic uses of the county home farm site
Historic uses of the County Home/Farm Site
  • Known existing structures on site at the time of purchase:
    • Plunket Home used for the care of dependent and neglected children – Child Relief Home (June 4, 1928)
    • Will Moore Home (December 5, 1932)
    • Various sheds, barns, and other unidentified buildings
  • County Farm
  • Tuberculosis Hospital
  • Institutional Cemetery
  • Reformatory (December 3, 1928)
  • Prison (Convict) Camp for Whites (December 7, 1931)
    • Prison Barracks designed by local architect Hall Crews (September 19, 1929)
  • Crib and Granary (January 5, 1931)
  • Asphalt Tank (September 6, 1932)
  • County Home for the Indigent and Infirm (January 15, 1936)
  • Six Car Garage and Storage Building (January 21, 1937)
  • County Laundry (1937)
  • Dairy Farm. (January 17, 1935)
  • Farm Demonstrations on 40 acres of land west of TB Hospital - including: truck farming; fruit trees, grasses etc. planting that can be adapted to the County, animal and machine sales; and more. (February 11, 1933)
slide11
County Home for the Indigent and Infirm, 1942. This facility was later used for the Nature Science Center.
site history3
Site History
  • 1955
    • State hospitals assumed the care of tuberculosis patients.
  • 1955-1959
    • the Shattalon Drive complex was vacant .
  • 1959
    • The complex was opened as a county-managed nursing home named after Dr. Paul Yoder, the Tuberculosis hospital’s former director.
  • 1961
    • The County leased the operation to Forsyth Home, Inc. and the facility became known as KnollwoodHall.
  • 1970s
    • Forsyth Home, Inc. removed the original tuberculosis hospital buildings.
  • 1975
    • New complex constructed.