The Child and Family Traumatic Stress Intervention. A family based model for early intervention and secondary prevention Steven Berkowitz, M.D. Steven Marans Ph.D. Primary Goals. To decrease post traumatic symptoms and disorders in children exposed to potentially traumatic events
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A family based model for early intervention and secondary prevention
Steven Berkowitz, M.D.
Steven Marans Ph.D.
Increase parent/s ability to provide support to children
(e.g. medical appointments, transportation, housing issues,
Court issues etc.)
Depending on age either/or
(e.g.. lead clinician likely to meet with adolescent first)
1. All get general overview with psychoeducation
2. Sleep Disturbance
3. Depressive Withdrawal
4. Intrusive Thoughts and Traumatic Reminders
5. Anxiety-- avoidance, clinginess, phobic reactions, etc
6. Tantrums and Oppositional Behavior
Questionnaires are administered briefly
Family meeting focuses on review of past week looking at log and checking on effectiveness
New or different symptoms to address
Practice interventions modules
3. No PTS Sxs, but preexisting MH issues: refer to treatment (this may occur in any session
4. Little or no improvement Trauma SXs: refer for Trauma focused treatment (TF-CBT etc.)