Meet the Mentors. UNDERC-East 2010. Dr. Todd Crowl. Aquatic ecology Population and community ecology Fish, insects Abiotic effects. Past UNDERC projects. Effect of Roundup runoff on growth of Lymnaea stagnalis and Cipangopaludina chinensis
Third year graduate student in
Dr. David Lodge’s Lab
Broad interests: Aquatic Ecology,
Invasive Species, Predator-Prey Interactions
Adult smallmouth bass
More specifically: Food web interactions between rusty crayfish and native fish
Intraguild predation: an relationship in which two species both prey upon and compete with each other, depending on their respective life stages.
Project 1: Prey preference and functional response
Determine the preferred prey using feeding trials
Describe the functional response of the predator as influenced by substrate and/or prey species.
Project 2: Competition among crayfish for food, shelter
Conduct competition trials between crayfish using different “prizes” (e.g. food items, shelter)
Investigate which characteristics, if any, correspond to higher success in competitive encounters
Molecular Ecology at UNDERC-East Summer 2010
Projects will utilize molecular methods to detect aquatic invasive species in UNDERC waters
Second Year Ph.D student – Third year at UNDERC
1) Do birds use more directional vocalizations when a habitat is noisier?
2) How well do different types of noise propagate through the environment and how does that change in different environments?
3) How well can birds localize sounds that are masked with noise?
4) What amplitude of noise is needed to mask a signal and how does this vary with different noise types?
5) Do birds use more visual cues in noisy environments than they would in quite environments?
6) Does altering the spectral properties of a bird song actually increase the ability of a bird to hear a signal?
Parasitic nematode, Microphallus sp.,may be reducing rusty crayfish populations
Microphallius is also found in virile and northern crayfish species.
Is Microphallus present in UNDERC lakes?
How is Microphallus affecting crayfish
Determine distribution of Microphallus on UNDERC property
Is Microphallus infection more common in certain species of crayfish or in either sex within a species?
Is there a relationship between crayfish density and Microphallus infection?
Does snail density (snails are a host of Microphallus) influence the number of crayfish that become infected?
Leaf Pack Field Experiment
End of a day in the field
Picking up leaf packs
1) Do differences among bacteria and fungi of the lakes and streams at UNDERC lead to different leaf decomposition rates?
2) Does leaf species identity and the presence of invertebrate shredders impact the relationship between microbial community identity and leaf decomposition rates?
Testing metacommunity theory using zooplankton communities and fish predation
2) Investigating how interspecific interactions between shredding invertebrates changing along a resource gradient.
3) Investigating behavioral interactions between shredding aquatic invertebrates using macro scale digital video footage
4) Investigating density dependence and intra-specific competition in shredding aquatic invertebrates
Ecological and Environmental Genomics
Environmental Challenges for Natural Populations
Rates of Adaptation
Fisk et al. 2007
Changes in Pigmentation
*** p < 0.001
Genetic Basis of Environmental Response