Earthquake Resistant Expansion Joint using Hinge Finger Type 2007. 12 We make the happy world ! ILWONTECH Co., Ltd. ILWON
·Earthquake zone on the plate boundary -New Zealand, USA, Japan (Earthquake-resistant advanced countries) 1.Status of earthquake Damage1)Geological earthquake ·Earthquake zone within the plate -USA: Northeastern area -China: Jaeseong Earthquake in 1975 Tangshan Earthquake in 1976 ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
2) Major earthquakes of the world (since 1900’s) (Over 10,000 casualty) ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
3) Example of damaged bridge by earthquake ◈ Kobe earthquake, Japan -Date of occurrence : 01.17.1995 -Casualty : 6,300 people -Wounded : 35,000 people -Magnitude : 7.2 ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
◈ Loma Prieta earthquake - Year of occurrence : 1989 - Magnitude : 7.1 - Among 4,250 bridges ·Minor damage: 89 ·Major damage: 11 Collapse of the upper part of the steel trust bridge(Oakland Bay Bridge) Breakdown of the punching in the upper structure (State Highway Bridge) ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
◈ Northridge earthquake - Date of occurrence : Jan 17,1994 - Casualty : 57 people - Wounded : 90,000 people Antelope Valley Freeway Santa Monica Freeway ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
2. Improvement of aseismatic performance in Bridges 1) Standard of earthquake-resistant design • Road standard specifications, Ministry of Construction, 1992 • Earthquake resistant design criteria, Ministry of construction & Transportation, 1997 • Road bridge design criteria, Ministry of construction & Transportation, 2000 • Road bridge design criteria, Ministry of construction & Transportation, 2005 ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
2) Basic policy of the earthquake-resistant design • Purpose of earthquake-resistant design • Securing the quake-proof ability in order to minimize the damage of the bridge caused by the earthquake • Basic concept of earthquake-resistant design criteria • Minimizing casualties. • Allowing partial damage in bridge members but preventing entire collapse in case of earthquakes. • Making it possible to perform the basic function of the bridge in case of earthquake. • The Design Criteria can be applied to all area in South Korea. • A creative work can be acknowledged to develop more advanced design even though it does not follow the rule. ILWONTECH Co.,Ltd.
3) Aseismatic level of the Road Bridge and seismic design ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
4) Response Correction FactorIn case of satisfying all the design requirements for the earthquake-resistant design, designed seismic force for each member and joint part of bridge is the value of the elastic seismic force divided by the response correction factor., In case of the lower structure, however, the longitudinal force and shearing force are not divided by response correction factor. Note : (1) The connection part means the device delivering the shearing force and compressive force between members and includes bridge bearings and shearing key. At this time, the response correction factor is applied to the elastic seismic force into the working direction. ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
5) Change of the concept in earthquake-resistant design • The existing earthquake-resistant design : increasing the strength of the structure • Beginning of the modern earthquake resistant design caused by Messina earthquake in Italy with magnitude 7.5 in 1908 • Building the structure stronger can resist from the horizontal load generated by earthquakes • Aiming the prevention of collapse • Allowing the structural damage • Increasing seismic movement of the inside of the structure • A new earthquake-resistant design : controlling the seismic movement of the structure • Seismic movement control system reducing the required strength by using seismic isolation system or energy dissipation system ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
6) Earthquake-proof system for bridges ◈ Approach of the earthquake-proof system • Earthquake is the energetic phenomenon and the earthquake energy concentrate on the fixed structure giving the damage The Large plate displacement Structural deformation Damage Earthquake Induced energy ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
Damage of Rahmen pier (fixed axis) Damage of the expansion joint and anti-falling pin Damage of Rahmen tie beam pier Upper plate falling down ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
◈ Application of aseismatic system • The system prevents the earthquake and terminates its energy. It makes smaller energy come into the structure reliving the remaining energy. Plate displacement Induced energy ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
7)Development Status for the seismic prevention system◈Bearing system – rubber bearing · Long cyclic function : Flexible horizontal transformation ability • Changing up to 600% in rubber shearing deformation · Vertical load support function: sufficient load supporting ability • Supporting up to maximum 147 Mpa/cm2 ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
◈Supporting device - LRB, HDR · Seismic isolation support integrated with damping function · Support injecting lead with excellent plasticity · Support using high damping rubber ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
·Oil damper Using low viscosity fluid Low dependency on temperature Complicated inner structure ·Viscosity damper Using high viscosity fluid High dependency on temperature Simple inner structure ◈Damper Upper Plate Structure Measuring Device Quake Isolation Device (Friction Bearing, Lead Rubber Bearing) Reaction energy fixed anchor Quick Release Jack ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
◈Device preventing the bridge falling Expansion Joint Cable type Bridge falling block system Upper Plate ·Cable confining device from SEEE company Buffer Bearing pier Spring Stopping Plate Connection Cable (PC Cable) Protection Cab Nut Mansion Buffering (Bearing plate + Buffer packing) Cladding material (Polyethylene resin) ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
3. Earthquake Resistant Expansion Joint (ERJ) of Finger type structure by using Hinge 1) ERJ - Use : long-span vertical expansion joint - Expansion : 300 ~ 800mm Patent NO.10-20060071877, NO.10-20060071878 Assigned to Technical Innovation Class “A” in the propriety evaluation of new technology idea ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
2) ERJ (Earthquake Resistant Expansion Joint) Deal drawing (Rubber Plate) ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
3) ERJ standard cross sectional view ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
3) ERJ ground plan Direction of a vehicle course of a vehicle Direction of a vehicle ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
4) Characteristics of ERJ movement Longitudinal movement Transversal movement Up& Down movement ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
5) Detailed drawing of the Rubber Seal in the lower part Installation picture Bonding picture ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
6) Comparison Table of earthquake-resistant expansion joints ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.
Thank you so much!! ILWONTECH Co., Ltd.