"Trojan Horses and Other Malicious Codes". by Song Chung and Adrianna Leszczynska. Examples of Malicious Codes. Trojan Horses Viruses Worms Logic Bombs - Time Bombs. What are Trojan horses ?.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
by Song Chung and Adrianna Leszczynska
It is the server part that infects a user’s system
- spread via email with an attachment
WTC.EXE. Email includes Subject: Fwd:Peace
BeTweeN AmeriCa And IsLaM !" and asks to
vote about the war issue by opening the
- 10 Fortune 500 companies on three continents
have been hit with this virus
A worm enters an Internet host computer and mails itself to other hosts.
The purpose of a worm attack is to fill storage space and slow down operationsWorms
– aka LoveLetter or LoveBug, sends itself to
everyone in the Microsoft Outlook address
- spread using Outlook email. Usually sent from
a familiar source, including an attachment
NAVIDAD.EXE. The virus affects the system
tray and will attach itself to other messages.
1. Open email attachment “LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.VBS”
2. The virus scans for certain files, replaces the content of these files with virus code,
and adds extention .vbs to the end of files.
3. Virus sends itself to everyone in the Outlook address book
4. Infected files cannot be retrieved and must be restored by a backup copy.
Unlike viruses, logic bombs do their damage right away, then stop.Logic Bomb
The damage is not caused, until a specified date or until the system has been booted a certain number of times.Time Bomb
- 1980s, it duplicated itself every Friday the 13th, caused system slowdown and corrupted all available disks
- 1990s, tried to damage hard disk directories
- written in 1999, damage included overwriting of data on all data storage units
- contact the network administrator
- Use the disinfect function of the virus
detection software, so it can try to
restore the program to it’s original state
- Erase the infected program and reinstall from
the original disk after virus scan confirms that
no viruses have been found
- Trojan Horses
- Logic–Time Bombs
Destructive codes hidden inside other programs
Both replicate and attach themselves to files, but unlike viruses, worms attack multi-user systems
Set-off when a specified condition is met