Web-based Tobacco Prevention TechFresh.org Kerren McDougal, EdD Center for Tobacco Prevention & Control Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Lubbock, Texas
Introduction • Previous Prevention Experience • College Health Behaviors Survey • Background to Website • Website Development • Website Assessment
Previous Tobacco Prevention Campaigns • Tasty, Delish • Based on Student Responses to Survey –Most students said they would rather not date someone who uses tobacco • Walt –Social Norms Campaign • Used the Social Norm -70% of Tech Students Don’t Use Tobacco • Character, Walt, as the Brand
Previous Tobacco Prevention Campaigns • Surveyed students about Walt campaign • 72% of students had seen the campaign • Many students were ignoring the message • The character was distracting • Once students realized the campaign was about tobacco use they ignored the actual campaign slogan • The Walt campaign was also extremely expensive to maintain
Health Behaviors Survey • Looked at overall health behaviors of college students • Tobacco use was negatively correlated with exercise for most students and healthy eating • Tobacco use positively correlated with alcohol use
Other Issues at Texas Tech • School in a small southwestern city • Lubbock, Texas (population about 200,000) • Requires a little more work on the part of students to find activities • Students come from all over the state • 68% if the students come from large metropolitan areas in Texas • The other 32% come from small towns • Students always asking: • WHAT IS THERE TO DO IN LUBBOCK???
Other Issues for College Students • College students are increasingly turning to the internet for health information (Escoffery, et. al., 2005) • We wanted to help students link health with activities that they consider fun
TechFresh.org • Community website with information about: • Campus activities • Live music • Arts • Outdoor activities • Restaurants • Quizzes, games, articles etc. • Health messaging on: • Tobacco use • Alcohol use • Exercise • Nutrition • Basic safety etc.
TechFresh.org • Information presented in a hip colorful format • User friendly • Health messaging designed to raise student’s awareness about health behaviors
TechFresh.org • Developed by students and former students • Market Tested (student input & buy-in) • Presentations in highly trafficked areas on campus • Asked about presentation (aesthetics) • User friendly • Focus groups (variety of student groups) • Help with presentation • What should be included?
TechFresh.org • Website Demonstration TechFresh.org
TechFresh.org • Marketing • Events (Great American Smoke-out) • Newspaper articles in campus newspaper (University Daily) • T-shirts • Chap sticks • Frisbees • Demonstrations at campus health fairs • Future ideas: mouse pads, coasters, etc.
TechFresh.org • Research (Baseline Survey) • Randomly sampled 1,000 entering freshmen • 337 responded (about 34% response rate) • Surveyed over the internet about: • Tobacco use • Exercise behavior • Demographic info • Received 1 free movie ticket for participation
TechFresh.org • Research (Results) • Baseline Survey • 14.6% respondents currently used tobacco • 6.3% quit in the last 6 months, 4.3% quit more than 6 months ago, & 75% never used • 56% respondents exercised 3 to 5 times a week
TechFresh.org • Research (Follow-Up Survey) • Respondents from baseline survey emailed • April 2005 (end of freshman year) • Still running by preliminary numbers • 242 respondents (72% response rate) • Asked about: • Tobacco use • Exercise • Demographic information • Website use (TechFresh) • Received 2 free movie tickets for participation
TechFresh.org • Research (Preliminary Results) • Spring Follow-up Survey • 11.8% currently used tobacco • 6.6% quit in the last 6 months, 6.1% quit more than 6 months ago, & 75% never used (not significantly different from the percentages in baseline survey- tobacco use did not change) • 66.8% respondents exercised 3 to 5 times per week – (this is significantly more students then the baseline survey- exercise participation increased)
TechFresh.org • Research (Preliminary Results) • Spring Follow-up Survey • About 11% of the respondents regularly used the websites • 93% of these students liked the website • 83% of these students exercised 3 to 5 times per week • 50% of these students initiated a regular exercise program in the last 6-months