19 th EGOWS Meeting, Ljubljana, June 9-12, 2008. WDB Weather and Water Database Outline Introduction Background of WDB Overview of WDB WDB Components Future of WDB Who are we? Michael Akinde Ph.D., Database Architect, IT, Met.no Systems architect on ROAD system at SMHI(2003-2006)
Fast, Free, Flexible
server:wdb-x.x% ./configure --prefix=/home/myuser/local
server:wdb-x.x% make install
server:mydata% gribLoad myforecast.grib
server:mydata% gribLoad /opdata/hirlam10/*.grib
Why not stick to “simple” SQL?
- SQL isn't really that simple
- Requires knowledge of the underlying data model (tables/views)
- Lacks useful functionality; e.g., interpolation, point-in-field, etc.
Why not a lib file?
- Changes in a library require that the applications using the
library are recompiled
- New libraries need to be pushed to the user (application)
- Each operating system, machine and language = its own library
Don't forget 32 vs 64 bit architectures...
(parameterspec = data specification)