HELPING PROBLEM GAMBLERS. Tony Ting President Association of Professionals Specialising in Addiction Counselling (APSAC). Scope of Talk. Similarities and differences between substance abuse and pathological gambling,
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
President Association of Professionals Specialising in Addiction Counselling (APSAC)
1. Three (3) years (6000 hours) of work experience as an addictions counsellor, including 300 hours of training in the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the 12 core functions of an addictions counsellor, inclusive of 100 hours as a gambling addiction counsellor.
2. 270 hours of education specific to the addictions counselling field, including at least thirty (30) hours of gambling specific training or education and six (6) hours in professional ethics.
3. Successful completion of the National Gambling Counsellor Examination administered by Professional Testing Corporation, NY, USA.
4. The certification is valid for two (2) years, after which recertification must be sought with proof of forty (40) hours of continuing education earned over two (2) years.
Bachelors Degree in
30 hrs Gambling Specific training and education
Passing of the National Gambling Counsellor Certification Examination.
60 hrs Gambling specific training and education
Passing of the National Gambling Counsellor Certification ExaminationGambling Counsellor Certification
100 hrs with gamblers and/or family members
In an approved setting
With minimum of 4 supervision sessions with a Board Approved Clinical Consultant (BACC)
2000 hrs with gamblers and/or family members
In an approved setting
With minimum of 24 supervision sessions with a Board Approved Clinical Consultant (BACC)Gambling Counsellor Certification
The certification is valid for 3 years, after which recertification must be sought with proof of 60 hours of continuing education:
1. 3500 hours of counselling hours within 5 years prior to application, including 1500 hours of direct client contact with supervision.
2. 800 supervised hours counselling gamblers and significant others within 5 years prior to application.
3. 100 hours of approved gambling specified education.
4. Adherence to the Canadian Problem Gambling Counsellors Code of Ethics.
5. Recertification every 2 years with evidence of 32 hours of approved CE.
* Increased availability
* Increased accessibility
* Increased acceptability
Development of Problem & Pathological Gambling: A Schematic Representation
CLASSICAL AND OPERANT CONDITIONING
Subjective excitement & Physiological arousal
Irrational beliefs & Illusion of control
Pattern of habitual gambling established
Chasing wins and losses & Losing more than expected
No Gam. Social Gam. Serious Social Gam. Problem Gam. Pathological Gam.
Professional Gambler Antisocial Gambler