Wavefront-Guided LASIK Using the VISX CustomVue™ Star S4 Laser System With and Without Iris Registration™: A Retrospective Comparative Study. Sonal B. Dave, MD Ladan Espandar, MD Majid Moshirfar, MD John A. Moran Eye Center Salt Lake City, Utah. Purpose.
Wavefront-Guided LASIK Using the VISX CustomVue™ Star S4 Laser System With and Without Iris Registration™: A Retrospective Comparative Study
Sonal B. Dave, MD
Ladan Espandar, MD
Majid Moshirfar, MD
John A. Moran Eye Center
Salt Lake City, Utah
To compare visual outcomes after laser in situ
keratomileusis (LASIK) using the VISX Star S4
CustomVue™, with and without Iris
Registration™ (IR) technology.
Is there a difference between Iris Registration™ and non-Iris Registration™ LASIK?
Supported in part by an unrestricted grant from Research To Prevent Blindness, Inc., New York, NY, to the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Utah
1. Awwad ST, McCulley JP. Wavefront-guided LASIK: recent developments and results. Int Ophthalmol Clin 2006; 46:27-38
2. Wang L, Chernyak D, Yeh D, Koch DD. Fitting behaviors of Fourier transform and Zernike polynomials. J Cataract Refract Surg 2007; 33:999-1004
3. Ou JI, Manche EE. Zernike versus Fourier treatment tables for myopic patients having CustomVue wavefront laser in situ keratomileusis with the S4 excimer laser. J Cataract Refract Surg 2007; 33:654-657
4. Ciccio AE, Durrie DS, Stahl JE, Schwendeman F. Ocular cyclotorsion during customized laser ablation. J Refract Surg 2005; 21:S772-4
5. Chernyak DA. Cyclotorsional eye motion occurring between wavefront measurement and refractive surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg 2004; 30:633-638.
6. Chernyak DA. From wavefront device to laser: an alignment method for complete registration of the ablation to the cornea. J Refract Surg 2005; 21:463-468
7. Fea AM, Sciandra L, Annetta F, Musso M, Dal Vecchio M, Grignolo FM. Cyclotorsional eye movements during a simulated PRK procedure. Eye 2006; 20:764-768.
8. Swami AU, Steinert RF, Osborne WE, White AA. Rotational malposition during laser in situ keratomileusis. Am J Ophthalmol 2002; 133:561-562.
9. Kermani O. Alignment in customized laser in situ keratomileusis. J Refract Surg 2004; 20:S651-658
10. Chernyak DA. Iris-based cyclotorsional image alignment method for wavefront registration. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 2005; 52:2032-2040
11. Fay AM, Trokel SL, Myers JA. Pupil diameter and the principal ray. J Cataract Refract Surg 1992; 18:348-351
12. Donnenfeld E. The pupil is a moving target: centration, repeatability, and registration. J Refract Surg 2004; 20:S593-596
13. Yang Y, Thompson K, Burns SA. Pupil location under mesopic, photopic, and pharmacologically dilated conditions. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2002; 43:2508-2512
14. Eydelman MB, Drum B, Holladay J, Hilmantel G, Kezirian G, Durrie D, Stulting D, Sanders D, Wong B. Standardized analyses of correction of astigmatism by laser systems that reshape the cornea. J Refract Surg 2006; 22:81-95
15. Solomon KD, Fernandez de Castro LE, Vroman DT, Sandoval HP. Importance of iris registration, effect of cyclotorsion, and pupil centroid shift in refractive outcomes after wavefront-guided myopic LASIK. ASCRS Symposium, San Diego, CA, USA, 2007
16. Chang DC. International experience with new iris registration technology and its impact on clinical outcomes. ASCRS Symposium, San Diego, CA, USA, 2007
17. Netto MV, Wilson SE. Corneal wound healing relevance to wavefront guided laser treatments. Ophthalmol Clin North Am 2004; 17:225-231
18. Erie JC, Patel SV, McLaren JW, Ramirez M, Hodge DO, Maguire LJ, Bourne WM. Effect of myopic laser in situ keratomileusis on epithelial and stromal thickness: a confocal microscopy study. Ophthalmology 2002; 109:1447-1452
19. Donnenfeld ED, Nattis A, Fishman GR, Roth J, Stein J, McDonald MB. Effect of cyclotorsion and pupil centroid shift on excimer laser photoablation: analysis of 1000 cases. ASCRS Symposium, San Diego, CA, USA, 2007