CSCI220 Multimedia Literacy. Course Introduction Terms and Technology. Multimedia – what is it?. Give examples… http://www.saint-andrews.co.uk http://www.balloonmanor.com Where have you experienced multimedia?
Terms and Technology
“Tell me and I will forget;
show me and I may remember;
involved me and I will understand!”
Allows user to respond directly to and control any of the media aspects
- progress through set sequence of events
- presentational, slide deck
- no choices of direction
- can direct or focus attention to specific details
- order of events dependant on user
- “choose your own ending”
- freedom to move and learn at own pace
- more presentational flexibility
Multimedia (w/o computers) not new
Digitized – media elements captured as a series of 1’s and 0’s so computers can work with the media
Focus - direct user’s attention to one concept
Balance – between information (content) and media aspects
- used as headlines, subtitles, captions
- provide content and direct information
- give directions, navigation
- OCR Optical Character Recognition
This is Word Art!
And more word art...
Two major types
bmp, gif, jpg, tiff, others?
- describes frequency, amplitude, etc
- “samples” sound thousands of time per second
- play sound directly from CD
- CD ROMs fast enough to jump to any point in 75th of a second
- games use it for background and theme music
- recording and storing musical performances
- specific commands for volume, tempo, timbre, etc.
- stored on computer media
- transmit over network (Web)